Vienna Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

As Austria is a member of the European Union, most tourists do not require a visa to visit Vienna. However, a valid passport is required. It is recommended that you check before travelling to see if you are required to have a visa or not. If you need further assistance contact your local Austrian Embassy or Crown Vienna.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

The following categories of residence and work permits are available:

(Please visit:

  • "Red-White-Red Card"

  • "Red-White-Red Card plus"

  • "Blue card - EU"

  • Residence permit for rotational worker

  • Residence permit for persons dispatched by an enterprise

  • Residence permit for self-employed persons

  • Residence permit for artists

  • Residence permit for special cases of employment activity

  • Residence permit for researchers

  • Residence permit for family members

  • Short term work permits

  • EU / EEA registration certificate

  • Permanent _ residence – EEC

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
It depends on what kind of visa you are applying for.

EU/EEA citizens do not require any special permit to enter and reside in Austria for up to three months.

EU/EEA citizens have to register their permanent residence with the authorities within three months if they intend to reside in Austria for more than three months. If all requirements have been satisfied, the authority will issue a registration certificate.

In Vienna the Municipal Department 35 is responsible for the place of residence of the EU/EEA citizen.

Required documents:

  • passport

  • registration of residency

  • job verification or employment contract

Cost: around EUR 55, 00.

Please find below information about the main residence permits for different residence purposes for third country nationals:

a) Residence title
• "Red-White-Red card" ( valid up to 12 months in case of granting first permit)
• "Red-White-Red card plus" (grants a time-limited right of settlement, including unlimited access to the labour market)
• "Blue Card-EU"

b) “Permanent residence – EEC”
• after 5 years of uninterrupted residence (includes full access to labour market)

c) Residence permit
• Rotational worker (necessary document issued by AMS: confirmation of guaranteed work or employment permit as rotational worker)

For further information please get in touch with Crown Vienna for immigration assistance.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

EEA/EU citizens’ spouses who are EEA/EU citizens themselves are allowed to work in Austria.
For third country nationalities: If a spouse wishes to work, he or she will need to obtain the proper work permit. Most accompanying spouses enter with a non-working residence permit, courtesy of the working spouse. Once they find a job, their new employer submits the request for the work permit on their behalf.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

A passport and / or driver's license are the main forms of identification. The residence and work permit will be handed out as a credit card sized plastic card with a passport picture of the cardholder and should be carried all the time.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

Persons establishing their residence in Austria, changing residence within Austria, or changing their primary residence must register to the responsible authority within 3 days after moving. In Vienna the residence registration service of the Municipal District Office is the responsible authority. In the case of primary apartment leasehold, the ‘Meldezettel’ (download application form) must be signed by the real estate management company. In the case of a sublet, by the primary leaseholder, and in the case of a condominium or house, by the owner.

Validity Period of Foreign Driving Licenses in Austria

Driving licenses from an EEA or EU state are valid for an unlimited period, and may be converted at any time on a voluntary basis. Driving licenses from a non-EEA/EU state are valid for six months starting from establishment of the primary residence in Austria.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

The Austrian customs only allows bringing along the following quantities per person when entering

  • 200 pieces of cigarettes or 100 pieces of small cigars / cigarillos or 50 pieces of cigars or 250 grams smoking tobacco

  • 1 liter alcohol (over 22%) or 2 liters alcohol (with maximum of 22%) plus an additional 4 liters of wine (non sparkling) and 16 liters beer

Please avoid taking along the following:

  • Firearms and ammunition

  • Any articles derived from protected species including fur skins, ivory, reptile leather and goods made from them

  • Controlled drugs

  • Indecent or obscene videotapes, films, books, magazines and other articles

  • Flick knives and certain offensive weapons

  • Counterfeit currency

  • Radio transmitters (walkie-talkies, citizen band radios, cordless telephones, etc.) which are not approved for use in Austria

  • Radar detector

↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

If you respect all of the above, unrestricted travel in and out of Austria will be possible.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.