Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
A vaccine is generally recommended for hepatitis B, though you can be vaccinated either before or after you arrive. Check with a qualified health professional in your home country on what precautions are in place for Taiwan at the time of your assignment.

If you take prescription medicines, bring enough with you to last until you can see if they are available in Taipei. Most types of medicine are, though some brand names may be less available.
Children should have their vaccinations up-to-date. Those under age 6 are required to bring proof of vaccination along with them in lieu of the health exam required for a residence visa and ARC (Alien Resident Certificate).
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Every work permit holder is covered under National Health Insurance or NHI. This coverage starts after the ARC has been granted and your company has submitted the relevant paperwork to the NHI Bureau. Doctor visits are charged at a minimum deductible of 150NT and most medications are included.

Dependents of work permit holders are also covered, but only after they have held their ARCs for four months. It is a good idea to have travel insurance to cover any accompanying family members during this time.

Take your NHI card with you on all visits or you will be required to pay for the visit.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
Try word of mouth, international community organizations and referrals by a local doctor.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Some expats opt to leave the country for major surgery and/or childbirth, though in most cases this is not necessary. If it's not an emergency, and you are comfortable speaking with others about your condition, ask around.

Some of the facilities for certain things in Taiwan are first rate (many types of cancer and maternity facilities, to name two), and treatment is much cheaper than in many other countries, even in private clinics and hospitals
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
Ambulance and Fire is 119
Emergency is 100
The Municipal Police Department is 110
Unfortunately, none of the above have English speakers. If you are not in a situation where a local person can communicate for you (and it's likely they will do that), the Foreign Affairs Police at
2556-6007 will be able to communicate your location and the nature of your emergency to the appropriate service.
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
Hospital emergency rooms operate 24 hours a day.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
NHI clinics and pharmacies all have the NHI logo, which is a green circle with orange and green people icons. These clinics are often located together or nearby for convenience. They sell a large number of over-the-counter drugs and are able to fill prescriptions.
The Chinese is YAO FANG or YAO JU (CHU).
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
It is safe in the sense that there are no parasites. However, the levels of heavy minerals and possibly lead encourage most expats and locals to use bottled water for drinking and cooking. However, tap water for tooth brushing and the occasional cup of tea will not bring you any harm.

Some newer apartments will have filters attached to the kitchen taps. Water can be widely purchased in 1- to 5-liter bottles. Water delivery is available in most areas and systems like Brita are also available in some supermarkets.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.