Taipei Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
You will fall under one of the following categories: Short-term Visitor, Residence, or Working Holiday (Youth Mobility) Scheme. Resident status is given to individuals holding valid work permits (and family members), students, or the spouse and children of a Taiwanese.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Visa-exempt entry: Visa upon arrival is granted to 43 nationalities as a tourist upon entry to Taiwan. A return ticket or itinerary journey to another destination is required under this arrangement.
Tourist/Visiting Relatives/Business/Short-term Employment Visa: These visas allow the bearer to remain in Taiwan for 30 or 60 days, with a single or multiple entry. It may or may not be extended up to two times for a maximum of 60 days, for a total of no more than 180 consecutive days.
Extensions are usually only granted for extenuating reasons, such as hospitalization.
Residence Visa: This visa is granted to holders of work permits and their dependents, and is valid for the duration of the work permit. The Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) is applied for in conjunction with the residence visa, and serves as the holder's identification card while in Taiwan. All foreigners in Taiwan are required to carry identification at all times.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Tourist/Visiting Relatives/Business/Short-term Employment Visa – the official online application form can be filled out on the Bureau of Consular Affairs’s website. Recent photos along with the relevant supporting documents should be submitted to the Consular Affairs’s office for processing.
Foreigners who will undergo an internal transfer to work in Taiwan for more than 180 days must first file a Work Permit application to the Council of Labour Affairs in Taipei. Once the work permit application is approved, a Resident Visa must be obtained from the Taiwanese diplomatic representative office. A post-arrival application called "Alien Resident Certificate" must be made within 15 days of arriving in Taiwan.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Only work permit holders are allowed to work, and then only for the sponsoring company. Please note that volunteering is considered work, regardless of whether or not it is paid.
If your spouse wishes to find work, he or she may do so as long as the company he or she is working for is willing and able to apply for a work permit on his or her behalf. Employment for accompanying spouses is difficult to find, with the exception of work in the teaching profession. Other jobs are available, but sporadically.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
The ARC (Alien Resident Certificate) is the main form of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
Different immigration process is required for Hong Kong SAR passport holder or People’s Republic of China passport holders.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
You should avoid bringing any items considered to be contraband with you. Please note that the duty on alcohol and cigarettes is high.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Keep track of your work permit and ARC expiration dates. Usually your company will monitor this for you, but it's best to also have an idea yourself. Ideally, begin the renewal process two months before expiration.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.