Macau Health

Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
Vaccination certificates are required only in exceptional circumstances, either in Macau or throughout the region, where vaccinations are needed. Usually, visitors are not required to have any specified vaccinations.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Call 999 for any emergency.

In a medical emergency, contact the S. Januario Hospital (government) located in Estrada do
Visconde de S. Januario or the Kiang Wu Hospital (private) located in Estrada Coelho do Amaral (Tel.
+853 371 333). Emergency services in these hospitals are open 24 hours.

In less urgent cases, visitors can go to any Health Center in Macau or on the islands. The most central one is the Tap Seac Health Centre located between Rua do Campo and Av. Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida.

Besides western medicine, visitors can find several traditional Chinese medicine doctors. Detailed information regarding Chinese medicine can be obtained from the Macau Health Department (Tel. +853 562 404) or Kiang Wu Hospital (Tel. +853 371 333).
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
Doctor for Western treatment - Yee Sang
Doctor for Chinese treatment (e.g., herbal) - Chung Yee
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
Friends, colleagues and current doctors are all good sources of recommendations for locating reliable health care providers. Crown Macau also knows many quality providers.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
No. Macau is one of the most developed countries in Asia in terms of public health provision. Expats usually go to hospitals for treatments.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

  • Emergency call: 999
  • Fire Station: 2857 2222
  • Police Station: 2857 3333
  • Hospital S. Januario: 2831 3731
  • Hospital Kiang Wu: 2837 1333

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
To call for an ambulance, please use the emergency number 999. Emergency services in most hospitals are open 24 hours.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
There is a Red Cross logo outside each pharmacy.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
It is always preferable to boil tap water before drinking.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.