Suzhou Health

Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
There are no mandatory vaccinations for Suzhou. However, the following vaccinations are recommended:

  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Typhoid
  • Diphtheria
  • Poliomyelitis
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Tetanus
  • Measels-mumps-rubella

For children, BCG (tuberculosis), meningitis, chicken pox, haemophilus influenza B and pneumococcal vaccinations are recommended.

Flu vaccine becomes available in September each year. Vaccination is especially recommended for anyone over 65 years old.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Medical insurance is highly recommended. Medical costs are usually paid up front by the patient and then reimbursed from the insurance company.

There are a number of hospitals in Suzhou; some offer a VIP clinic for expats with English-speaking and western-trained doctors. There are also a number of international clinics in densely populated expat areas such as the Suzhou Industrial Park.

Kowloon Hospital in SIP has a foreign/VIP clinic with an Indian doctor who offers a western-style consultation in private consultation rooms.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
The local word for doctor is Yi-sheng.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
Your insurance provider or employer should be able to provide you with a complete listing of available doctors. For further assistance, contact Crown Suzhou.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
In most cases, this is not required. However, many expats choose to go to Hong Kong because it has the most advanced medical equipment as well as English-speaking doctors. Other areas of preference are Singapore and Japan.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
Emergency Numbers:

  • Fire: 119
  • Police: 110
  • Ambulance: 120
  • Traffic: 122
↑ Top


What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the 24-hour emergency clinic closest to your residence is an important first task once you have settled in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Yao Dian or Yao Fang are the Chinese words for pharmacy. The Chinese symbol is:
To locate a pharmacy, look for the bright green cross on the outside of the building.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
It is advised that you do not drink the tap water unless it is boiled first. Bottled water is safe and is widely available. Most homes get regular deliveries of 19-liter containers of bottled water priced around 8-20 rmb. Water dispensers are usually provided by your landlord as a common kitchen appliance when you first move in.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.