Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?
A private vehicle is probably your best choice. Bus transport is also available.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?
If you have a current and valid overseas driver's license, you can drive with it for a maximum of 12 months from the date you arrive in New Zealand. If your overseas license or permit is not in English, then you must carry an acceptable translation. If you are staying for more than 12 months, you must obtain a New Zealand driver's license. Depending on the country you have come from, you may have to pass a theory and or practical test.

Please visit your local Automobile Association office to obtain an application for a New Zealand driver's license.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?
Motorists drive on the left-hand side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.
Buses and taxis are the most prominent forms of public transit. Most suburbs are covered by public transport starting from around 6:30 a.m. to around 11:00 p.m. Shorter routes and reduced service are available on the weekend. Some of the hill suburbs are unable to be serviced by the buses in the winter due to ice and snow conditions
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.
The most convenient option is private motor vehicle, but there is a good network of buses that depart throughout the day to all towns close to Dunedin.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?
There are no additional safety issues apart from remembering that we drive on the left side of the road. Pedestrians who are not used to this system should be cautious when crossing the road. Seatbelts must be worn by all passengers. Motorcyclists are required to wear crash helmets.

Maximum legal speed on highways and motorways is normally 100 kph (61 mph). In cities and towns the limit is 50 kph (30 mph)
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?
The most central place to purchase tickets is at the central bus depot in St Andrews Street. Visitor
Information Centers around the city also sell tickets. It is common to purchase bus tickets upon boarding.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.