Qingdao Transport

Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?
No. The public transport is fairly convenient. However, you may get a car if you prefer. If you will be in Qingdao for a long time, drive it yourself or hire a driver.

Taxis are often preferred by foreigners.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?
To get a license, you must live in Qingdao for one year. The foreign affairs office of Qingdao Security Bureau will have all the forms. You'll need to take a medical test and you will also be tested on Qingdao's road rules.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?
People drive on the right side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.
The buses are frequent and there are many routes. This is the only form of public transport besides taxis, which are everywhere and inexpensive.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.
You can take the train to Yantai (another coastal city) and go by ferry to Huangdao.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?
Wear a seat belt, even though no one else does. In addition, be extremely careful crossing the road -- especially at zebra crossings. Cars do not give way to pedestrians!
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?
You can use coins. Most fares are only 1 yuan per ride - you don't need a ticket. You just put your money in the box. There is also a computerized IC card ticket system. You can buy an IC card at the terminal stations of all bus routes and at other locations near prominent bus stops. Use your card, and your ride is only 0.9 yuan.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.