Dhaka Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in Bangladesh depends on your country of citizenship, the length of your stay within Bangladesh, and the type of visa or permit you have been allocated. To enter Bangladesh, a visitor must have a valid passport. No matter what your nationality, you must have a valid visa obtained from a Bangladesh embassy or consulate.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

Visa on Arrival:

  • This is the most common type of visa issued to foreign investors and business persons valid for 30 days. Not all nationals can apply for VOA. The issuance of this visa is the sole discretion of the Bangladeshi immigration officer.

Tourist Visa:

  • A Tourist Visa is given to those visiting Bangladesh for tourism or other non-business-related purposes and can be granted to an accompanying partner and children. The maximum period of stay in Bangladesh is limited to 6 months (180 days) per each visit. The Tourist Visa cannot be extended or converted to any another visa.

E Visa:

  • This is the most popular and most used category of visa by the foreign nationals who wants to be involved is any kind of job or employment in Bangladesh. The relevant Bangladesh Mission shall issue visa for a maximum period of 3 (three) months subject to submission of papers/documents in support of the appointment. Later, the Department of Immigration and Passports will extend the validity of the visa with multiple-travel facility for a maximum period of 1 (one) to 2 (two) years year at a time, based on the receipt of work permit in case of employees, airlines, banks and insurance companies and on the basis of recommendation of the Bangladeshi sponsors; alongside clearance of the security agencies in other cases. This visa is renewable on the basis of work permit.

FE Visa:

  • This type of Visa is issued to Spouse and other dependent members of the principal travelling on E category visa and is valid till same duration as Principal applicant./p>

E1 Visa:

  • E1 visa is granted by the Embassy of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh of the concerned country for a maximum period of 6 (six) months subject to submission of papers / documents in support of the appointment.

PI Visa:

  • This is issued to investors in existing / new/ under construction/ upcoming industrial / commercial entity in the private sector under joint venture or 100% foreign owned company. PI visas are issued for a period of 3 months at the first application.

FPI Visa:

  • This type of visa is issued to Spouse and dependent members of the principal travelling on PI category visa and is valid till the duration of the primary applicant’s visa.

A3 Visa:

  • This visa is issued to experts / advisers / officials / staff members / labors working in any project under the bilateral / multilateral agreement between Bangladesh government and development partner agencies. The concerned Bangladesh Mission grant A3 visa for a maximum period of 3 (three) months subject to submission of appointment letter upon application.

FA3 Visa:

  • This type of visa is issued to Spouse and other dependent family members of A3 visa holders.

J Visa:

  • Journalist visa is issued to Journalists of newspapers / magazines / TV or radio networks / news agencies / representatives of print, electronic or satellite media / freelance journalists etc. and can be valid usually for 3 years. For issuance of J category visa, a clearance from External Publicity Wing of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dhaka is required.

N Visa:

  • Individuals appointed in NGOs registered in Bangladesh are issued N Type Visa.

↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Spouses are not permitted to find gainful employment while on a dependent visa. If your spouse is interested in working full-time, they will need to obtain an employment visa of their own, for which they will have to return to their home country.
↑ Top


Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
A foreign national arriving in Bangladesh with an Employment visa and intending to stay over 180 days in the country is required to apply to the Board of Investment (BOI) for Work Permit within 15 days of arrival. A thorough security clearance from Special branch of Police and National Security Intelligence (NSI) is also mandatory for procuring the work permit and for visa extension.

↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
The following items must not be brought into the country:

  • Explosive materials
  • Drugs prescription and non-prescription 
  • Compressed gases
  • Radio-active materials
  • Foodstuffs
  • Gold

↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
A foreign national intending to stay in Bangladesh must comply with the local tax policy and pay the taxes for the respective financial year. 
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.