As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Nationals of the 15 EU countries, as well as those from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland (who are not visiting Luxembourg to take up an economic activity), enjoy free movement. An ID card or passport to establish the identity and nationality of the holder is enough to allow a person to enter Luxembourg and remain there provided his or her stay is regularized with the municipal authorities.

A national of a non-European Union country who wishes to remain in Luxembourg for over three months requires a visa.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
Visas for short visits (up to three months) are appropriate for temporary workers and visitors. Visa for long periods of residence (more than three months) are for permanent workers and visitors.
Keep in mind that people from EU countries - and also those arriving from Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland - do not need visas.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
The necessary documents vary depending on the type of application; however, the following documents are required in most cases:

  • Copy of the applicant's passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Copy of diplomas and professional qualifications
  • Proof of financial means if without employment
  • An affidavit or police record
  • Work contract, dated and signed by the applicant and the employer (if applicable)

Usually these documents must be translated by a certified translator. There is also a visa application fee of about 60 euros or pounds.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
A spouse is permitted to work if he or she has a work permit. You do not need a work permit if you are from an EU-member state or EEA country (except Switzerland) or you are married to a citizen of an EU-member state. 

Obtaining a work permit is not very easy. Spouses are most likely to find work with the help of an employment agency or through personal contacts.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
A Luxembourg ID card is obtained through the local town hall where you have registered (see below). This card must be renewed annually. It is essential that you carry it with you at all times, as the police may ask to see it.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
You must register at your local town hall within eight days of arrival for EU citizens and three days of arrival for non-EU citizens. The registration fee is about 15 euros. You must also present:

  • a passport, valid for at least 15 months
  • five recent passport photos
  • certificate of good conduct (criminal record history) issued by the police authorities in the last country of residence
  • a valid work permit
  • a medical certificate from a doctor recognized by the Luxembourg Embassy.

↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
It is not a good idea to bring firearms or illegal drugs into Luxembourg.
Also, be aware that alcoholic beverages are subject to duties and taxation.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Please contact Crown Luxembourg for further information
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.