Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
No vaccinations are required to enter Switzerland, but all travelers coming into the country should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella (chicken pox) immunizations.  It is also important to bring any medical certificates/records from your home country.

Check any other specific vaccination requirements carefully with your local Switzerland consulate or embassy to confirm medical requirements.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Swiss medical facilities and health care are among the best in the world and are of very high standards.  However, health care is very expensive and having insurance prior to arrival is recommended. If you are staying for more than three months, Swiss health insurance is obligatory. Be sure that your health insurance from your home country will cover you until you can organize Swiss health insurance.

To find a specialist doctor in Nyon, you can search the website of the Association des Médecins du Canton de Vaud. For more information on local providers, contact Crown Nyon.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
Doctor: Docteur or médecin
Dentist: Dentiste
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
If you need a doctor at home: 0848 133 133
If you need a nurse at home: 079 520 74 64
If you need emergency veterinary care: 022 755 55 33
If you need emergency dental care: 0848 133 133
University Hospital of Geneva: 022 994 61 61
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Considering that the medical care in Nyon area is one of the best in Switzerland, there should be no reason to leave. You're more likely to find someone leaving their country to seek Swiss medical care.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

  • Police: 117
  • Fire: 118
  • Ambulance: 144
  • Helicopter: 1414/1415
  • Poisoning: 145
  • Road help: 140

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
You can call one of the health centers or emergency numbers listed above.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Pharmacies are recognized by the big green neon cross flashing above the entrance. The word for pharmacy in French is Pharmacie.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
Yes, the water is very safe to drink.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.