Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination

For buses and light rail travel, Edmonton Transit System (ETS) is one of the safest transit agencies in the nation. Fares are $2.50 for adults and a discounted $2.25 for youth and seniors. Day, monthly and annual passes are available for varying prices. Monthly passes are available to elementary, junior- and senior-high school students through the school they attend.

Complete route and schedule information is available from ETS information operators, seven days per week. Just call +1 780 496-1611.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

In the province of Alberta, there are seven different kinds of licenses depending on what type of vehicle you will be driving. You must have a driver's license in order to drive in Alberta, which you must carry with you whenever you drive.

If you have a Landed Immigrant status or a work permit, you are permitted to drive in Alberta using your own valid driver's license for up to three months. After the three-month period, you must apply for an Alberta driver's license. Non-Canadians holding an international driver's license may use this license for up to one year. However, do note that you cannot obtain insurance for your vehicle unless you have an Alberta license; and, having insurance is a legal requirement to drive.

To obtain a driver's license, license plate and vehicle registration, you must do the following:

  • Go to any licensing/registration depot (look under the yellow pages for a depot near you)

  • Present your passport, landed immigration papers or work visa

  • Take a Driving Knowledge test

  • Take a couple of lessons to become familiar with the 'rules of the road'.

For information on how to get your Alberta driver's license, the Graduated Driver Licensing Program and driver training and examinations, visit the government transportation website listed below.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?

Similar to the United States, people drive on the right side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

Edmonton offers buses and light rail transit (LRT) with a host of features to accommodate different groups of commuters. For example, community buses are used in neighborhoods where it's more difficult for the full-sized buses to maneuver. The community buses are less intrusive. The LRT and buses will accommodate bikes.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

Yes, there are several bus systems available that commute to other towns. For more information please refer to the Edmonton Transit website listed below or contact Crown.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

The speed limit in the city of Edmonton is 50 km per hour (30 miles per hour) unless posted otherwise. The speed limit in school zones is 30 km per hour, or 18 miles per hour, on school days, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The same speed limit applies to playground zones seven days per week from 8:30 a.m. to one hour after sunset. These signs are posted very clearly as you approach.

The minimum driving age in Alberta is sixteen (16). However, a learner’s permit may be issued to a driver at 14. The use of seat belts is mandatory throughout Alberta; the penalty for failing to wear a seat belt is a substantial fine and possible demerit points on your license.

It is a criminal offense to operate or be in care of control of a motor vehicle while your ability is impaired by alcohol or drugs. If the police determine your ability to operate a motor vehicle has been impaired by alcohol or drugs, you may be charged with impaired driving. First-time offenders automatically receive a one-year license suspension, and further offenses result in stiffer penalties.

Other points to remember are:

  • Right-hand turns are permitted at red lights after you come to a complete stop and yield to any oncoming traffic. Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all intersections unless the intersection is controlled by a traffic light

  • The penalty for failing to yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian is $57 and three demerit points.

↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

See http://www.edmonton.ca/default.aspx for details.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.