Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
No vaccinations are required to enter Switzerland, but all travelers coming into the country should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella immunizations. It is important to bring any medical certificates/records from your home country.

Check any other specific vaccination requirements carefully with your local Switzerland consulate or embassy to confirm medical requirements.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Swiss medical facilities and healthcare are among the best in the world and are of very high standards.  However, healthcare is very expensive and having insurance prior to arrival is recommended. If you are staying for more than three months, private health insurance is obligatory. Make sure that your health insurance from your home country will cover you until you can obtain Swiss health insurance.

For more information on local providers, contact Crown Basel.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
The Swiss either use: Doktor or Artz.  Dentists are referred to as Zahnarzt.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
The best way to locate a suitable healthcare provider is in the phone book under “Arzt” where you will find a list of doctors and dentists in your area.

The principal hospitals in Basel are:

  • Kantonspital (061 265 25 25)
  • Bethesda Spital (061 315 21 21)
  • Merian Iselin-Spital (061 305 11 11)

↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Most expats seek treatment in Basel because of the very high healthcare standards. Treatment or medication may be cheaper in other countries, but it isn’t usually covered by Swiss insurance.  
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

  • Police: 117
  • Fire: 118
  • Ambulance: 144
  • Air Rescue (Rega): 1414
  • Child helpline: 147
  • Medical and Pharmaceutical Emergency Helpline: 061 264 15 15
  • A Hand in Need: 143

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night, either call one of the numbers listed above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closet major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic from where you live is an important first task once you have had a chance to settle in.

Also, all emergency numbers are listed on the first page of your local telephone book. If you are not sure which service you should call, 112 is the international emergency number you can use. 
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
“Apotheke” is the German word for pharmacy. They have a large green neon cross flashing above the door.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
Yes, the water is very safe to drink.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.