Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

No, not necessarily. Stockholm has a very good transportation system, such as the subway, buses, and local trains.


How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

Nationals within the EU/EES countries, Switzerland, and Japan are able to use their native driver’s licenses or convert them. Natives from other countries are required to take a theoretical test and a road test if their stay exceeds a year.


What side of the road do people drive on?

In Sweden, people drive on the right side of the road.


Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

The Stockholm public transport includes the underground or the subway, taxis, buses and commuter trains. The underground consists of three lines: the green, red and blue. Underground stations are marked with a blue "T," which stands for "Tunnelbana," the Swedish word for “Underground.” The commuter rail system serves the entire county from Märsta, 40km north of Stockholm, to Nynäshamn, 55 km south of Stockholm.


Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

Commuter trains and regional trains will take you to the surrounding towns and areas or suburbs. There are also buses that offer the same route. Taxis are also available.


In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

Swedish public transportation is safe and reliable.


Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

Tickets are available in every subway or suburban train station SL Centres, "Pressbyrån" kiosks, or tourist information offices. For inquiries, please contact SL: Tel: +46 - 8 - 600 1000. Prices vary between peak and off-hours.


Useful Links



Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Please contact your closest embassy or consulate for confirmation.