Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

Vaccinations are not required for entry into Malaysia, but the following are highly recommended four to six weeks prior to arrival:
  • Hepatitis A & B
  • Typhoid - for travellers who eat and drink outside major restaurants or hotels
  • Yellow fever (especially if you are traveling from a yellow fever-infected area)
  • Japanese encephalitis: for long-term (one month) travellers to rural areas or those who may engage in extensive unprotected outdoor activities in rural areas, especially after dusk
  • Rabies: for travellers with direct contact with animals
  • Routine Immunizlation: tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella

Also, the normal childhood vaccinations of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) and polio should be up to date. It is also wise to check vaccination requirements with the consular office. And, you should also consult your home country's vaccination regulations for re-entry on home leave or repatriation.

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

Many find the health care in Kuala Lumpur to be reputable. There are numerous hospitals and clinics with English-speaking doctors, many of whom have been educated in the UK or Australia. Most expats utilize the private medical centers and health care is provided on a user-pay basis. If you have your own or company insurance, it is typical to pay for services first and then submit for reimbursement afterward. Payment at most medical centers can be made by cash, credit card or bank draft.

For more information, check with your company’s human resources department or contact Crown.

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

The word doctor is pronounced the same but spelled as "Doktor."

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

Check with your health insurer and/or your company to see whether coverage is applicable to any medical practitioner or is limited to a list of pre-selected practitioners. Friends and colleagues are also sources of recommendations for locating reliable health care providers.

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No, most expats are comfortable with the quality of care in KL. There are numerous hospitals and clinics with English-speaking doctors, many of whom have been educated in the UK or Australia.

Occasionally, some expats may go to Singapore if seeking practitioners with specific specialties.

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Medical and police-related emergencies - dial 999
Fire department-related emergencies - dial 994
If you are dialing from a cell phone - dial 112

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night, either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hours emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic from where you live is an important first task once you have had a chance to settle in.

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

The pharmacies (for Western prescription medications) are located within the hospitals or medical clinics. General non-prescription medications can be purchased at any of the pharmacy chains; Guardian or Watson’s, for example. Pharmacies are known as farmasi in the local language.

Is the water safe to drink?

It is highly recommended that you do not drink tap water unless it has been boiled, filtered, or chemically disinfected. Also, do not drink unbottled beverages or drinks with ice, do not eat fruits or vegetables unless they have been peeled or cooked and do not eat cooked foods that are no longer piping hot.


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.