Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

Whether or not you choose to drive your own personal vehicle depends on the location of your residence and how comfortable you are with driving in the city. Taxis, buses and the light rail system are quite useful within the central part of the city, but as you get further into the suburbs, having your own car may be necessary as access to the above becomes somewhat limited.

It is legal for foreigners to drive in Malaysia with a foreign driver's license for up to three months from the last date of entry as stated on his/her passport. You can also drive legally in Malaysia using an international driving license up to a maximum of 12 months from the last date of entry as stated on your passport.

It is advisable to obtain an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) in your home country as processing the conversation in Malaysia can take approximately two to three months. You can drive with your IDP while the conversion is being processed. The IDP is not transferable or convertible to a Malaysian license.

For information on transfer an overseas driver license to Malaysian license, please refer to http://www.jpj.gov.my/

What side of the road do people drive on?

Similar to the United Kingdom, people drive on the left-hand side of the road. If you are not familiar with this, take your time and be extra cautious.

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

Taxis are relatively inexpensive and tend to be the most widely-used mode of transport for expats, but be sure only to use metered taxis. Otherwise, you may end up paying a high taxi fare. Alternative services such as Grabcar and GOJO are available.

Local buses are available for the more adventurous expats, and once the various routes are mastered, bus travel can be a very reasonable way to get around town.

Alternative public transport, Light Railway Transit (LRT), KTM Komuter and Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) with a cheaper cost and convenient.

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

Yes. Besides using taxis, there are many buses that will take you to most major centers in West Malaysia.

The main bus terminal in KL is Puduraya. For trains, the railway station or KL Sentral are places to start. Domestic flights leave from Subang Airport or KLIA2.

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

Traffic accidents are probably the number one health hazard in Malaysia. Buses and taxis drive aggressively, so you need to be alert and aware when traveling by either mode.

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

For the light rail system, you can buy tickets at each of the stations or use your pre-paid Touch 'n Go card (also used on toll roads) where the fare is automatically deducted from the card every time you ride the bus or subway. To ride the bus, you pay as you get on. Bus tickets for outlying areas can be purchased at Puduraya Station.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.