Accommodation in Manchester

What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in Manchester?

Proximity to work and schools, facilities for children, parking restrictions, local transport facilities and traffic congestion.

What are the most popular neighborhoods in Manchester for expats?

While there is no specific area where expats tend to reside, there are plenty of suitable areas within Manchester and the surrounding suburbs to satisfy the needs of everyone. In recent years a number of Quayside developments and loft-style apartments have sprung up throughout central Manchester and Salford. In the south of the city there are large pockets of student accommodation, however the areas of Altrincham, Sale and Wilmslow are very sought-after. A little further afield, the villages of Alderley Edge and Prestbury are around 40 minutes from the city and are two of the most prestigious areas. In the north of the city, towards the Pennines, the housing is more traditional and better value for money than in the south.

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?

The majority of expats tend to rent their accommodation.

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?

Usually one month’s rent plus security deposit, which is normally four to six weeks rent. You may also have to pay an administration fee, which varies depending on the rental agency. In addition, you will have to pay stamp duty, which is one per cent of the annual rent for unfurnished accommodation or three per cent for furnished accommodation.

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?

Gas, electricity, water, telephone, council tax and resident parking permits (if applicable) are generally payable in addition to rent. You will also be required to pay a TV Licence fee if you have a television in your home.

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?

This depends on the location and suburb you choose to live in.

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in Manchester?

The electric current is 220 volts and the plug is three pin. Most unfurnished properties will have white goods (refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) available for tenants.

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?

Crown can offer assistance in providing you with accommodation information, for rental or purchase properties and can also arrange for temporary accommodation.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.