New York Visas and Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. every year. In most cases, you must obtain a visa to enter the United States. However, U.S. policy does permit citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights (with the exception of the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature). To find out whether you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the Web sites listed below or contact Crown New York.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are different types of visas available depending on whether or not you are a visitor, student or other Please review the lists below for the types of visas available in both categories. It is strongly recommended that you contact an immigration attorney and/or the Immigration and Naturalization agency for more details. You may also contact Crown New York or visit the Web sites below for more information.
Visa Types for Temporary Admittance:
  • Business
  • Tourist/visitor
  • Border Crossing Card - Mexican Travellers
  • Exchange Visitors
  • Students
  • Temporary Workers
  • Media and Journalists
  • Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker
Visa Types for Immigrants:
  • Immediate relatives
  • Special Immigrants
  • Family sponsored
  • Employer sponsored

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States has updated its visa policies to increase security so you will find strict security measures in place. It is recommended that you contact your nearest consulate or embassy, or an immigration attorney, to get specific details about your country. Obtaining a visa can become a complicated process, so you should be confident that it has been done correctly and legally to avoid incurring problems later. If you need further assistance please contact Crown New York.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

In some, but not all instances, a spouse is allowed to apply for a work permit. Contact your attorney or Crown New York for additional information.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

After arriving in the US, one very important thing you should do is apply for your Social Security card, which can be obtained at your local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings and to distinguish you from others who bear a name similar to, or the same as, yours. It is also recommended that you apply for a photo ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Request either a driver's license or simple ID and, of course you will be traveling with your passport, which is a valid form of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan to work in the U.S., the most important thing to apply for after you get settled is a Social Security card. You may also contact and register with the local consulate or embassy for your country.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Please contact Crown New York for complete assistance and ease of importing effects. Items that are prohibited to come into the country include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered animals and items made from them, unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms unless permitted, hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products manufactured using forced labor, and switchblade knives.
Also, alcohol and motor vehicles have specific restrictions. One liter of an alcoholic beverage may be brought in free of duty and Internal Revenue Tax for personal use. Quantities above the one liter limitation are subject to duty and internal revenue tax. Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety, bumper, to air pollution control standards. Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S. are generally dutiable.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

As long as your visa is valid and you stay in good standing, your stay should not be questioned.
Please contact Crown New York if you have any questions.
↑ Top
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.