Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

There are no mandatory vaccinations for Chengdu. However, the following vaccinations are recommended:
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Typhoid
  • Yellow Fever
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Rabies
Also, all travellers should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicell immunizations and consult with their health provider from home about the required vaccination certificates prior to moving.
For the latest information on recommended health precautions, contact your local embassy, health organization or Crown Guangzhou.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

Guangzhou has an International SOS assistance, which offers modern, English-language medical care to its members, Crown Guangzhou can assist you to joining this organization. Otherwise, comprehensive medical insurance coverage that extends to China is recommended. Without insurance, you will be required to pay a large deposit before receiving treatment at a hospital in Guangzhou.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

The word for doctor in Mandarin is "Yi Sheng" in Mandarin and "Ye Sang" in Cantonese.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

The two leading medical services and evacuation companies operating in China are the Singapore-based AEA International and US-based International SOS Assistance. If needed, these organizations can refer you to additional specialists and doctors, offering more extensive care in nearby Hong Kong. Also, your insurance provider or employer should be able to provide you with a complete listing of available doctors. For further assistance contact Crown Guangzhou.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

Although it is more expensive, most expats prefer to seek medical care in nearby Hong Kong because it is considered more sophisticated and reliable, and the facilities are more modern. Hong Kong is two hours by train or three and a half hours by car from Guangzhou.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

For emergencies dial:
  • 120 for an ambulance (Chinese-speaking)
  • 119 for fire rescue (Chinese-speaking)
  • 110 for the police (Chinese-speaking)
For emergency assistance in English call: 8401 5292
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area.
Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic from where you live is an important first task once you have had a chance to settle in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Yao Dian or Yao Fang are the Chinese words for pharmacy. The Chinese symbol is: ıı.
Guangzhou large pharmacy chains include Guangzhou Jian Min, LaoBaiXing, BaoZhiLin and DaShenLin. You can also visit the pharmacy section at large public hospital to get your medicines. 
To locate a pharmacy, look for the bright green cross on the outside of the building.
In China, most medicines do not require prescriptions. If you need a specific medicine, you should bring an adequate supply with you in case you cannot find it here. Bring the generic name of the drug with you, as this may help you to find a suitable alternative to the brand name you use in your home country.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

It is advised that you do not drink the tap water unless it is boiled first. Bottled water is preferred and is widely available.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.