Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

There are no mandatory vaccinations for Harbin. However, the following vaccinations are recommended:

  • Hepatitis A and B

  • Typhoid

  • Yellow Fever

  • Japanese encephalitis

  • Rabies

All travellers should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicell immunizations and consult with their health provider from home about the required vaccination certificates prior to moving.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

Medical insurance is highly recommended. Medical costs are usually paid up front by the patient and then reimbursed from the insurance company.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

The local word for doctor is Yi-sheng or Daifu.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

Your insurance provider or employer should be able to provide you with a complete listing of available doctors. For further assistance contact Crown Harbin.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

Expats are likely to travel to Beijing to an international medical center for medical and dental care.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

For emergencies dial:

  • 120 for an ambulance (Chinese-speaking)

  • 119 for fire rescue (Chinese-speaking)

  • 110 for the police (Chinese-speaking)

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area.

Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic from where you live is an important first task once you have had a chance to settle in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Yao Dian or Yao Fang are the Chinese words for pharmacy. The Chinese symbol is: ıı.

To locate a pharmacy, look for the bright green cross on the outside of the building.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

It is advised that you do not drink the tap water unless it is boiled first. Bottled water is preferred and is widely available.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.