Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

There are no vaccination requirements to enter Canada. However, it is important to take all medical certificates and records from your home country. Also consider taking any special medication you might need. It is always good to stock up for the transition period and place the medicine in your carry-on bag. This also helps the clearance process with Customs to flow more smoothly. Also, the normal childhood vaccinations of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) and polio should be up-to-date.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for each province or territory provides residents of Canada a provincial health care plan covering most necessary, medical services. For Ontario residents, you must have Ontario health insurance to use funded health care services. You are eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if:

  • You are a Canadian citizen, landed immigrant or convention refugee, or:

  • You have submitted an Application for Landing and have satisfied the medical requirements for landing, or;

  • You are a foreign worker who holds valid employment authorization which names a Canadian employer and your prospective occupation, and is valid for at least six months, or:

  • You are a spouse, same sex partner or the dependent child of an eligible foreign worker, who is to be employed in Ontario for a period of at least three consecutive years and

  • you make your permanent and principal home in Ontario

  • you are present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period

For health insurance, you must complete an application form. All Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for a health insurance card. In some provinces, temporary workers, students and others in Canada on a temporary basis are also eligible. There is a three-month waiting period which begins the day you establish or re-establish residence. For more information visit the government health Web site listed below.

To apply for a health insurance card, you will need to apply to the Ministry of Health in the province or territory where you live. You can obtain an application form from the provincial ministry of health, or in any doctor's office, hospital or pharmacy. It is recommended that you apply for this card as soon as you arrive in Canada. You will need to show your birth certificate, confirmation of permanent residency (IMM 5292) and your passport. Please note that each member of a family has to have their own provincial health insurance card.

If you have your own health insurance, take all your information with you when visiting the doctor or hospital.

Please contact Crown Ottawa for more information or for help in obtaining your OHIP card.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

Doctor, physician and/or MD (medical doctor)
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

When choosing a doctor, asking a friend or co-workers to recommend one is often very helpful. Contact information for doctors, as well as their specialties, are also listed in the local telephone book. Sometimes it lists the languages they speak. You can also visit the website for the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario for a list of doctors accepting new patients in your area. If all else fails, your insurance carrier should be able to inform you on which hospitals and doctors are best suitable for your needs.

Keep in mind; doctors limit the number of patients they accept, so the first doctor you call may not be able to take you as a patient. However, the doctor’s receptionist can usually tell you of another doctor nearby who is accepting new patients.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No, Canada has one of the finest health care systems in the world. Excellent hospitals, clinics or doctor’s offices are located in most communities. Their services are usually free of charge to all residents of Canada registered under the national health insurance program.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Dial 911 to summon help in an emergency for medical, fire and police. The call center forwards your call to the appropriate emergency center that will help you.
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If the patient suffering from a medical condition is ambulatory, conscious and stable in breathing, you may opt to take the patient to a nearby hospital's emergency department. Doctors, nurses and other hospital staff are on duty 24 hours per day, seven (7) days per week. Otherwise, dial 911.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Pharmacy and/or drug store. They, too, are located in the telephone book.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

The drinking water in Ottawa is clean and safe for consumption. Water purification plants and sewer systems must meet approved government standards and are monitored via quarterly reports.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.