Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

Generally, no vaccinations are required from any country for entry into the US, however recent changes to United States immigration law now require immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of an immigration visa.
  • mumps
  • measles
  • rubella
  • polio
  • tetanus and diphtheria toxoids
  • pertussis
  • influenza type b
  • hepatitis B
  • varicella
  • pneumococcal
  • influenza
Additionally, it is recommended that normal childhood vaccinations of measles, mumps, rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) and polio should be up-to-date. It is also necessary that you bring any medical records with you from your home country and that you consult your home country's vaccination regulations for re-entry on home leave or repatriation.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

The United States does not have socialized medical care. It is recommended that you have your own health insurance and bring all your information with you when visiting the doctor or hospital. If you do not have health coverage, you will have to pay for health care out of your own finances at the time service is provided. This can run into many thousands of dollars for serious illnesses so being covered should be a top priority.
The doctors and hospitals in the U.S. are very good and dependable. In Honolulu, there are many quality hospitals, medical facilities and private practices available to you. To find a suitable health care provider, contact your insurance provider to obtain a list or check with your company Human Resources Department for more information. You can also find extensive listings in your local yellow pages.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

English = doctor
Hawaiian = kahuna lapa'au
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

As stated above, your company's Human Resources Department or your health insurance provider can supply you with a list of reputable physicians or you can look in the local yellow pages under "Physicians." Another great way to find a good doctor is by asking your co-workers, neighbors and friends. Often word of mouth is the best resource.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No. Most expats tend to go to Honolulu, which has excellent health resources.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Dial 911 for all emergencies. The person handling the call will direct your call to the correct department: an ambulance, the fire department or law enforcement, depending on which is needed.
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call 911 and wait for an ambulance or have a family or friend drive you to the closet major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics. Identifying the 24-hour emergency clinic nearest to where you live is an important first task once you have had a chance to settle in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Look for the word "pharmacy." Some good chains are Longs Drugs and Walgreens. Pharmacies can also be found in larger grocery stores like Safeway.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

Yes the water is safe to drink, however, it is preferable to use a water purifier or filter. Many people also drink bottled water.
↑ Top
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.