Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?

Generally speaking, having your own vehicle is the most convenient option. It is, however, not always required. Las Vegas hosts one of the best public transportation systems on the west coast and it operates in most areas 24 hours per day, every day of the week.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?

A valid driver's license from your home country or the US and driver liability insurance is required in Las Vegas. An international driver's license in not obligatory, but could come in handy for renting vehicles from certain rental agencies. If your stay will exceed the validity of your foreign license, you will be required to obtain a Nevada Driver’s License.

The legal age for drivers is 18 years old. A learner's permit can be obtained at 16 years. However, with a learner's permit, there are additional requirements, such as being accompanied by an adult. Other requirements, such as the wearing of seat belts and the use of child safety seats apply whenever you operate a vehicle. Nevada Highway Patrol officers will happily provide help, free of charge, to proud parents with installing car seats. Booster seats are now required for children from 40 to 60 pounds (18.18 to 27.27 Kilograms).
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?

People in Las Vegas (and the rest of the US) drive on the right hand side.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.

Most expats operate their own vehicles; however, there are buses and taxis available as alternatives. Although several taxi companies operate in the city and surrounding areas, theses can become quite expensive. Most taxis do not accept credit cards, so you must have cash available.

The other option is the Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) which oversees the operation of Citizen Area Transportation (CAT) buses. Most of the routes are active 24 hours per day. It is important to visit the RTC Web site and check bus schedules before heading to your destinations.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.

From the Las Vegas Strip, the surrounding suburbs are accessible by all forms of public transportation. Other areas of interest (Red Rock Canyon, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Mead and Mt. Charleston) have tour buses for hire. You can search the Internet for private tours in Las Vegas.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?

You should be aware that while Nevada allows right hand turns on red lights, you must come to a complete stop before doing so. When it is safe, you are legally allowed to go right at a red light. Also, pedestrians have the right of way at a crosswalk only when they have the signal to cross. All local and state traffic laws can be viewed online via the link below.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?

Tokens are not used for the buses. Cash and pre-purchased passes are the accepted payment methods. The RTC link below can provide you with vendors and prices for the different bus routes.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.