As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. every year. In most cases, to enter the United States you must obtain a visa. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights with the exception of the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature. The U.S. visa policy does permit citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa. To find out more information on whether you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the website listed below or contact Crown Miami.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are numerous visas available. There are visas for visitors and visas for immigrants. Please review the lists below for the types of visas available in both categories. It is strongly recommended you contact an immigration attorney and/or the Immigration and Naturalization Service for further details. You may also contact Crown Miami or visit the websites listed below to find out more information.
↑ Top

Visa Types for Visitors:

  • Business

  • Tourist/visitor

  • Border Crossing Card - Mexican Travellers

  • Exchange Visitors

  • Students

  • Temporary Workers Overview

  • Media and Journalists

  • Visa Renewals

  • Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa Types for Permanent Immigrants:

  • Immediate relatives

  • Special Immigrants

  • Family sponsored

  • Employer sponsored

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States has updated its visa policies to increase security. It will most likely take you longer to get a visa than it used to and you will find stringent security measures in place. It is recommended that you contact your nearest consulate or embassy or an Immigration Attorney to find out specific details for your country. This is a very detailed process and you should be confident that it has been done correctly and legally to avoid incurring problems at a later time. If you need further assistance please contact Crown Miami.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

Typically, a partner is not entitled to work, but there are some instances where the spouse is allowed to apply for a work permit. For further information, contact your attorney or Crown Miami for further advice.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

Upon arrival, you should apply for your Social Security card, which is obtained at your local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings. It is also recommended that you apply for a picture ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (either a driver's license or simple ID). And, of course you will be traveling with your passport, which is a valid picture identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan on working, the most important thing to apply for after you get settled in is a Social Security card. For further information contact your local consulate or embassy.

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Please contact Crown Miami for complete assistance and ease of importing effects. Items that are prohibited from entering into the country include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered species and items made from them, unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms unless permitted, hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products made by forced labor, and switchblade knives.

Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety, to air pollution control standards. Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S. are generally subject to import taxes. The U.S. The U.S. Customs service has recently made changes to the requirements for Alcohol entry. Please contact your Crown Miami representative to discuss this in advance.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

As long as your visa is valid and you stay in good standing, your stay should not be questioned. Please contact Crown Miami if you have any questions.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.