Birmingham immigration guidance

As a foreign resident, what is my status in Birmingham?

Members of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) generally will not need work permits for the United Kingdom. Non-EU and Non-EEA members must apply for the relevant work permit or visa with their local UK embassy before leaving for the UK or they will not be able to obtain entry.

What kinds of visas are available?

Entry Clearance, Work Permits, Skilled Migration and Multiple Entry Business Visas. Contact Crown Birmingham for details.

What is required to obtain these visas?

Applications must be made through Work Permits UK direct, or a suitable immigration specialist. Contact Crown Birmingham for more details as there is a very strict criteria for entry into the UK for work.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

A spouse can work in the UK for as long as his or her partner lives in the UK and holds a valid work permit. However, a spouse must first obtain entry clearance in order to stay, as well as enter and exit the country for the duration of the partner's work permit.

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

A driver's license is the main form of identification in the UK. This can be obtained by passing a UK driving test or exchanging your current foreign license for a UK one (depending on the country your foreign license is for.) Your passport will also be another main form of identification.

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

People from some countries will need to register with the police on arrival to the UK. Please check with your immigration service provider for details.

What items should I avoid bringing into Birmingham?

Do not bring alcohol. There is no duty-free allowance for alcohol contained within an unaccompanied shipment. All alcohol is subject to duty and VAT and must be itemized separately on an alcohol list. In addition, avoid bringing restricted items like animals, birds, leather goods, ivory and foodstuffs – as this will lead to delays with customs. There are also restrictions on bringing cigarettes and certain gifts.
For country specific information about these restrictions, please visit the website via the below link. 

The following items are prohibited entry to the UK, so please do not bring them on your person or in your shipment: 

  • Controlled drugs, 
  • Indecent or obscene video cassettes, films, books, magazines and other articles, horror comics, 
  • Flick knives, butterfly knives and certain other offensive weapons and some martial arts weapons, 
  • Counterfeit currency, 
  • Radio transmitters (walkie talkies, citizen band radios, cordless telephones and other devices not approved for use in the UK), 
  • Meat and poultry (many other animal products are prohibited or restricted), 
  • Plants including trees and shrubs, potatoes and certain other vegetables, fruit, bulbs and seeds, 
  • Self-defence sprays such as pepper spray, stun guns
  • Endangered animals (or furs of these).

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

Ensure that your work permits and visas are valid and remember to renew them when they are nearing expiry dates.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.