Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to Leeds?


Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in Leeds as an expat?

The UK offers a National Health Service (NHS) primarily for the residents of the UK. Your eligibility for this service depends on your residence status in the UK and not whether you have British nationality. Expats registering for NHS treatment need identification in the form of a passport and proof of address. If you are paying tax or National Insurance in the UK, you will need to apply for a National lnsurance Number which will also allow you to receive assistance from the NHS.

Private medical care is available through companies such as Bupa or PPP.

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

GP (General Practitioner) or Doctor.

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

It is recommended that you visit the NHS website to find a suitable health care provider quickly and easily.

Do expats in the area tend to leave Leeds to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No, there is excellent care in Leeds.

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Dial 999 for medical, fire or police.

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

Emergency and out of hours care is available at your local hospital (Accident and Emergency or Casualty room). For minor problems, it is recommended that you speak to your local pharmacist or doctor as waiting times at A&Es can be lengthy.

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Pharmacies are called 'chemists' in England and are recognizable by a green cross. Some chain chemists in Leeds are Boots and Superdrug.

Is the water safe to drink?

Yes, but a direct supply of drinkable water from the main supply is only available from the taps in kitchens. All other water to the household is kept in storage tanks and, hence, it is not recommended that you drink water from bathroom taps or any other taps in the house.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.