Immigration Leeds

As a foreign resident, what is my status in Leeds?

Members of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) generally will not need a work permit for the United Kingdom. Non-EU and Non-EEA members must apply for the relevant work permit or visa before leaving for the UK with their local UK embassy or they will not be able to obtain entry.

What kinds of visas are available?

Entry Clearance, Work Permits, and Multiple Entry Business Visas. Contact Crown Leeds for more details.

What is required to obtain these visas?

Applications must be made through Work Permits UK direct, or a suitable immigration specialist. Contact Crown Leeds for more details as there are strict criteria for entry into the UK for work purposes.

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

Spouses have to obtain entry clearance to be allowed to stay, as well as enter and exit the country for the duration of the partner's work permit. On arrival into the UK, spouses can work for as long as their partner is in the country and holds a valid work permit.

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

A driver's licence is the main form of identification in the UK. This can be obtained by passing a UK Driving Test. Your passport will also be another main form of identification.

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

Some nationalities need to register with the police on arrival to the UK. Please check with your immigration service provider.

What items should I avoid bringing into Leeds?

Alcohol. There is no duty free allowance for alcohol contained within an unaccompanied shipment. All alcohol is subject to duty and VAT and must be itemized separately on an Alcohol List. Avoid bringing restricted items like animals and birds, leather goods, ivory and foodstuffs as this will lead to delays with customs.

The following items are prohibited entry to the UK, so please do not bring them with you or in your shipment: 

  • Controlled drugs, indecent or obscene video cassettes, films, books, magazines and other articles
  • Horror comics
  • Flick knives, butterfly knives and certain other offensive weapons and some martial arts weapons
  • Counterfeit currency
  • Radio transmitters (walkie talkies, citizen band radios, cordless telephones, etc. not approved for use in the UK)
  • Meat and poultry, (many other animal products are prohibited or restricted), plants and plant produce including trees and shrubs, potatoes and certain other vegetables, fruit, bulb and seeds are prohibited for entry in a personal effects shipment.

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in Leeds legally?

Ensure your work permits and visas are valid and remember to renew them when they are nearing expiration dates.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.