Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
There are no mandatory vaccinations for Shenzhen/Shekou. However, the following vaccinations are recommended:

  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Typhoid
  • Yellow fever
  • Japanese encephalitis
  • Rabies

Also, all travelers should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measels-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella immunizations and consult with their health provider from home about the required vaccination certificates prior to moving.

For the latest information on recommended health precautions, contact your local embassy, health organization or Crown Shenzhen/Shekou.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
Shekou has an International SOS Clinic that offers modern, English-language medical care to its members. Medical insurance is highly recommended. Medical costs are usually paid up front by the patient and then reimbursed from the insurance company. For further assistance with medical needs, contact Crown Shenzhen/Shekou.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
The word for doctor is "Yi Sheng" in Mandarin and "Ye Sang" in Cantonese.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
The most suitable healthcare providers in the area are available at the International SOS Clinic. If needed, this clinic can refer you to additional specialists and doctors, offering more extensive care in nearby Hong Kong. Also, your insurance provider or employer should be able to provide you with a complete listing of available doctors. For further assistance, contact Crown Shenzhen/Shekou.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Although it is more expensive, most expats prefer to seek medical care in nearby Hong Kong because it is considered more sophisticated and reliable and the facilities are more modern. Hong Kong is only 15 minutes by train from Shenzhen or one hour by boat from Shekou.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
For emergencies dial:

  • 120 for an ambulance (Chinese-speaking)
  • 119 for fire rescue (Chinese-speaking)
  • 110 for the police (Chinese-speaking)

For emergency assistance in English call: 8401 5292
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night, either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic to your home is an important first task once you've settled in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Yao Dian or Yao Fang are the Chinese words for pharmacy. The Chinese symbol is:
药房 To locate a pharmacy, look for the bright green cross on the outside of the building. In China, most medicines do not require prescriptions. If you need a specific medicine, you should bring an adequate supply with you in case you cannot find it here. Bring the generic name of the drug with you, as this may help you to find a suitable alternative to the brand name you use in your home country.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
It is advised that you do not drink the tap water unless it is boiled first. Bottled water is preferred and is widely available.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.