Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?
You do not need to own a vehicle of your own to get around, as Ulaanbaatar is a small city. Plus, keep in mind that traffic is getting worse every day, so you will probably not want to drive.
Taxis are easy to find. If the weather is nice, many people walk. In addition, most foreign businesses have their own shuttle buses for transporting their workers.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?
You will need an employment letter to make a request to apply for a Mongolian driver's license, and a driver's license from your country of origin proves to the authorities that you are capable of driving.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?
Believe it or not, cars keep to whatever side the drivers feel like driving on!
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.
Taxis are cheap in UB, plus the drivers are trustworthy and the cars are clean.
Buses are also available, but they are crowded. Many expats avoid this mode of transportation.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.
You might be able to negotiate a fare with someone driving out of town. Also, many expats have their own Toyota Land Cruisers, which are ideal for navigating the roads outside of UB.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?
The chaotic traffic makes safety belts a necessity. Also, keep in mind that pickpocketing is very common on buses. Many expats avoid this mode of transport.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?
Usually, people pay the conductor by cash.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.