What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
If your children are over 10 years old and do not speak any German, an international school is a popular choice. There are also schools that teach in German and English, which is also highly recommended. Public schools are free; at an international school you might easily pay CHF 30,000 per year.
↑ Top

What are some examples of these schools?
British School of Amsterdam - British nursery, primary and first year of middle school for children ages 2 to 12.

  • The Inter-Community School Zurich (ICS)
  • Zurich International School (ZIS)
  • Swiss International School Zurich-North
  • Swiss International School Zurich-West
  • Lycée Français

↑ Top

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
There are no waiting lists for local schools, but please check with Crown Zurich for current information on the schools you're interested in.
↑ Top

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
↑ Top

How are most kids transported to and from school?
There is no general mode of transportation: Some children walk to school, depending on where they live, or are dropped off and picked up again by their parents. Some schools operate school bus transportation. As Switzerland is a very safe country, a lot of school children use public transportation each day.
↑ Top

When does the typical school year start and end?
Public schools run from mid-August until mid-July. Private international schools operate from the beginning of September to the end of June.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Kindergarten, elementary and grammar school (high school) education are provided free. In Zurich, the district education office takes care of enrollment, but your Crown relocation consultant will assist you where needed and requested.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.