As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

In most cases, to enter the United States you must obtain a visa. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights with the exception of the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature. However, the U.S. visa policy does permit citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa. To find out more information on whether you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the Web site listed below or contact Crown.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are numerous visas available depending on your purpose for entering the country. You can obtain a temporary or visitor's visa, or a student visa, and if interested in a more permanent status, you can obtain other types. Review the lists below for the many types available. It is strongly recommended you contact an immigration attorney and/or the Immigration and Naturalization Service for further details. You may also contact Crown or visit the Web sites listed below to find out more information.

Visa types for visitors:

  • Business

  • Tourist/visitor

  • Border crossing - Mexican travellers

  • Exchange visitors

  • Students

  • Media and Journalists

  • NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa categories for Immigrants:

  • Immediate relatives

  • Special Immigrants

  • Family sponsored

  • Employer sponsored

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States has updated its visa policies to increase security, so you will find stringent security measures are in place. It is recommended that you contact your nearest consulate or embassy or an immigration attorney to find out specific details for your country. This is a very detailed process and you will want to be very sure that it is done correctly and legally so that no problems occur at a later time. If you need further assistance please contact Crown.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

Yes, there are some instances where a spouse is allowed to apply for a work permit. For further information, contact your attorney or Crown for further advice.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

Upon arrival, you should apply for your Social Security card, which can be obtained at your local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings, distinguish you from others bearing similar names and for a host of other reasons. It is also recommended that you apply for a photo ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (either a driver's license or identification card). And, of course, you may use your passport as a valid form of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan to work, the most important thing to apply for after you get settled is a Social Security card.

For further information contact your local consulate or embassy.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Please contact Crown for complete assistance and ease with importing personal effects. Items that are prohibited include lottery tickets, narcotics, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered animals and items made from them, unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms (unless permitted), hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products made by forced labor, and switchblade knives.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

As long as your visa is valid and you are in good standing with the law, your stay should not be questioned. Please contact Crown if you have any questions.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.