Budapest Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Citizens of the following countries traveling for any purpose but employment, immigration or studies do not need a visa for up to a 90-day stay in Hungary: Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada,
Chile, Czech Republic, Cuba, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany,
Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Republic of Korea, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Mongolia,
Netherlands, Nicaragua, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Seychelles, Singapore
Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, countries of the former Soviet Union, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay and countries of the former Yugoslavia.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
The following visa categories are available in Hungary: student visa, employment visa, business visa, immigration visa and visiting visa.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Visa requirements in general are:

  • a valid passport
  • three photos for single and multiple entry, five photos for double entry
  • one Hungarian application form and one visa form (two for double entry)
  • green card (in case of a temporary stay in the US, additional information may be requested)
  • airline ticket or reservation for a way back
  • a fee paid to the Hungarian Embassy or Consulate in your home country

Additional requirements for different visas:

  • For a student visa: a Hungarian certificate of enrolment
  • For an employment visa: a Hungarian employment permit
  • For a business visa: an invitation letter from a Hungarian company
  • For an immigration visa: an immigration permit
  • For a visiting visa: a certified invitation letter from Hungary

Your passport must be valid for at least another six months from the expiration date of the Hungarian visa. Visas for single or double entry shall be valid for no more than six months, while visas permitting multiple entries shall be valid for no more than one year. The period of validity will be reckoned from the date of issue.

The visa authorizes a stay for the period indicated in the application form, which will be for no more than 90 days. If anybody wishes to stay in Hungary for longer than 90 days he or she should apply for a special long-term visa and report with it to the appropriate police headquarters in Budapest to apply for a residence permit.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Spouses and partners are permitted to work, but a separate work permit should be obtained. Crown

Budapest offers career counseling services for spouses and partners.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
The main forms of identification are the Hungarian Identification Card (which is not valid without the address card), driving license and a passport from your home country.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
EU Health Care Card and Residence Permit. Please contact Crown Budapest for further information.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Do not bring narcotics or firearms. Alcohol and tobacco are allowed to a maximum of one litre and 200 grams.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Please contact Crown Budapest for further information.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.