Lyon Health

Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
No vaccinations are required, but all travelers coming into France should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella immunizations. It is also important to bring any medical certificates/records from your home country.

Check any other specific vaccination requirements carefully with your local French consulate or embassy to confirm medical requirements.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
If you come to France as a détaché, or on assignment with a company, the French branch of your company will pay for private insurance for you and your family. If your status is that of an expat, with a
CDI or indefinite term contract in France, the hiring company will organize your registration within the French Social Security system. In either situation, you will be covered.

If you come to France on your own (i.e., independent of an employer), you will need private insurance.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
In French, "doctor" is "docteur" or "médecin."
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
In parallel to its demographic and geographic development, Lyon has made every effort to provide constantly improving health care. The Hospices Civils de Lyon, the managing authority of 18 hospital establishments, has created a medical system integrating all clinical specialization. Private hospitals are also well represented, with some 15 establishments.

The City of Lyon has also set up a new proximity health service of night duty doctors to provide alternative access to healthcare in response to a growing need expressed by citizens and general practitioners alike.

Call 04 72 33 00 33 and a doctor will answer your call.

In addition to house call services, the medical referral centers ensure that you can contact a doctor for common illnesses, even when demand is highest.

Four centers cover the Lyon area. Located on the ground floor of their buildings, they are accessible to the handicapped and are close to public transportation. Before going to the center, call 04 72 33 00
33. A doctor will analyze the symptoms you describe and will refer you to the nearest center for an immediate appointment or to a more appropriate medical facility.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
Excellent medical care can be found right in Lyon.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
Below is a list of important numbers to keep handy in case of an emergency:

  • Paramedics (ambulance) _ (SAMU) - dial 15
  • Police (Police) - dial 17
  • Fire (Pompiers) - dial 18
  • Poison Control Center (Centre Anti-poisons) - dial 04 72 11 69 11

↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night, either call one of the numbers above and wait for an ambulance or have a family member or friend drive you to the closest major hospital in your area.
Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the closest 24-hour emergency clinic from where you live is an important first task once you have had a chance to settle in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
Pharmacies are commonly known as "Pharmacie" and display a flashing green cross.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?
French people have been drinking mineral and spring water for generations. Six-packs of water are a standard item on their shopping list. However, tap water in Lyon is very safe.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.