Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?
Check the vaccines and medicines list and visit your doctor (ideally, four to six weeks) before your trip to get vaccines or medicines you may need.

The below information is taken from the website of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) organization.

All travelers
You should be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination. Some vaccines may also be required for travel.

  • Routine vaccines - Make sure you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine and your yearly flu shot.

Most travelers
Get travel vaccines and medicines because there is a risk of these diseases in the country you are visiting.

  • Hepatitis A - CDC recommends this vaccine because you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in South Africa, regardless of where you are eating or staying.
  • Typhoid - You can get typhoid through contaminated food or water in South Africa. CDC recommends this vaccine for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater.

Some travelers
Ask your doctor what vaccines and medicines you need based on where you are going, how long you are staying, what you will be doing, and if you are traveling from a country other than the U.S.

  • Hepatitis B - You can get hepatitis B through sexual contact, contaminated needles, and blood products, so CDC recommends this vaccine if you might have sex with a new partner, get a tattoo or piercing, or have any medical procedures.
  • Malaria - When traveling in South Africa, you should avoid mosquito bites to prevent malaria. You may need to take prescription medicine before, during and after your trip to prevent malaria, depending on your travel plans, such as where you are going, when you are traveling and if you are spending a lot of time outdoors or sleeping outside. Talk to your doctor about how you can prevent malaria while traveling. For more information on malaria in South Africa, see malaria in South Africa.
  • Rabies - Rabies can be found in dogs, bats and other mammals in South Africa, so CDC recommends this vaccine for the following groups:
    • Travelers involved in outdoor and other activities (such as camping, hiking, biking, adventure travel and caving) that put them at risk for animal bites
    • People who will be working with or around animals (such as veterinarians, wildlife professionals and researchers)
    • People who are taking long trips or moving to South Africa
    • Children, because they tend to play with animals, might not report bites, and are more likely to have animal bites on their head and neck
    • Yellow Fever - There is no risk of yellow fever in South Africa. The government of South Africa requires proof of yellow fever vaccination only if you are arriving from a country with risk of yellow fever. This does not include the U.S. If you are traveling from a country other than the U.S., check this list to see if you may be required to get the yellow fever vaccine: Countries with risk of yellow fever virus (YFV) transmission.
      For more information on recommendations and requirements, see yellow fever recommendations and requirements for South Africa. Your doctor can help you decide if this vaccine is right for you based on your travel plans.
    ↑ Top


    Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?
    Use of private facilities only is recommended.

    Medical Facilities

    1. Net Care Greenacres Hospital
    2. Lifehealth Care St Georges Hospital & Medical Centre
    3. Intercare Medical Centre
    4. Medicross Medical Centre
    ↑ Top


    What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?
    In Xhosa – UGQIRHA
    In Afrikaans - DOKTER
    ↑ Top

    What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?
    The above list gives the main healthcare providers and these facilities are considered to be the best in Port Elizabeth and will be able to provide information on all practitioners.
    ↑ Top

    Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?
    Depends on what type of medical care is required, but yes many people have said that for specialized and major operations they choose to go to Stellenbosch, Somerset West and Cape Town as expertise is lacking in local medical facilities.
    ↑ Top

    What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.
    AA Emergency Breakdown, Tel: +27 (0) 83 843 22, Website:
    Aviation Rescue, Tel: +27 (0) 41 581 3585
    Disability Hot-Line: +27 (0) 82 290 3764 or +27 (0) 41 368 3707
    Fire Brigade: +27 (0) 41 585 1555
    Municipality: +27 (0) 41 360 1330
    Garmed Ambulance: +27 (0) 41 373 6777
    Netcare 911 Ambulance Service: +27 (0) 82 911
    Netcare Greenacres Hospital Emergency Unit: +27 (0) 41 390 7000
    Life Line (PE): +27 (0) 41 373 8666 (Crisis Line)
    National Sea Rescue Institute: +27 (0) 41 585 6011
    Police Flying Squad: 10 111

    ↑ Top

    What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?
    The medical facilities listed above all have emergency and trauma units.
    ↑ Top

    How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?
    All easily recognized and advertised as "Pharmacy or Chemist". Some well-known names in Port Elizabeth are as follows:
    Alpha Pharm
    In Afrikaans - Apteek
    ↑ Top

    Is the water safe to drink?
    Yes, tap water is considered safe to drink.
    ↑ Top

    Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.