Accra Transport

Will I need to drive my own vehicle to conduct my everyday life (work/school/shopping) at my destination?
It would be a great advantage to have your own vehicle. There are many taxis around but this can cost you a small fortune for everyday use. A new vehicle ranges from US$25000 to US$70000 and a good used vehicle can be purchased for about US$7000 and upwards. Crown Ghana can assist you in finding the right vehicle to suit your needs.
↑ Top

How can I legally drive a vehicle in this city?
You can use a driver's license from your home country for up to six months, but after that you'll be required to apply for a permit in Ghana.
↑ Top

What side of the road do people drive on?
In Ghana, you drive on the left side of the road.
↑ Top

Describe typical public transportation an expat might use to get around the city.
Most people get around using the local cabs. This is quite efficient and most cabs are in decent condition. The cabs can cost you quite a bit, however, and the cost depends on the distance you are traveling. Local buses and minibuses are very risky to travel in.
↑ Top

Could an expat also use public transportation to get out of the city—to surrounding towns, recreation areas or suburbs? If so, list options.
Yes, one can use the local cabs but again, the cost could be very high. Most people would rent a 4x4 when going out of the city or on holiday.
↑ Top

In regards to transportation, are there any safety issues I should be aware of?
Always wear your seat belt. Local authorities can fine you for not doing so.
↑ Top

Where do I buy tickets/tokens/etc. for the major public transportation?
All road transportation will have to be paid for with cash, not tokens or tickets. Plane tickets can be purchased at the airport, online or at travel agencies.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.