As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Your status in New Zealand depends on your country of citizenship, the length of your stay within New Zealand, and the type of visa you have been issued. Australian citizens are able to live, work and visit New Zealand by showing a valid Australian passport.

Residents and people holding work visas for a stay of two years or more (and their dependent children) are eligible for publicly funded health care and disability services. Other work visa holders, students, and visitor visa holders generally are not eligible. People covered by New Zealand’s Reciprocal Health Agreements with Australia and the UK are entitled to publicly funded health care for immediately necessary medical treatment only. It is strongly recommended that you have comprehensive health insurance for the duration of your visit.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
There are several types of visas available allowing people to live, work, study or visit New Zealand. There are documents required and a variety of criteria associated with each visa. The type of visa you apply for is dependent upon your intended length of stay, your personal circumstance and what you plan to do while you are here.

A points system is in place to determine your eligibility for permanent residency. Points can be awarded for qualifications, work experience and relevant offers of employment. Please contact Crown Dunedin for further information.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
Effective May 4, 2009, any person onshore who provides New Zealand immigration advice is required to be licensed. Effective May 4, 2010, any person offshore who provides New Zealand immigration advice is required to be licensed. It is now a crime to provide New Zealand immigration advise (unless exempt). All New Zealand immigration advice must be provided by advisers licensed by the Immigration Advisers Authority. The licensed advisers are listed on the Immigration Advisers Authority register. The register can be viewed at

This legislation created a need for many of Crown’s client organisations to seek external support. Crown is the only New Zealand full-service relocation company with in-house Licensed Immigration Advisers. Our experienced and licensed team has the expertise to deliver a total immigration support program in a practical and cost-effective manner.

Crown understands that moving to a new country is a special event. It can be a stressful time for employers, individuals and families. The new service is designed to remove these pressures and ensure a stress-free and seamless relocation experience for all concerned.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
In most cases, spouses and partners are permitted to work. Their visas will be directly linked to their spouse or partner who is the principal applicant. There are a variety of options available, subject to requirements. Please contact Crown Dunedin for more information.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
The primary forms of identification in New Zealand are:

  • Valid passport
  • New Zealand driver's license

Please note: an application for a driver's license can be obtained from an Automobile Association office or a local car-testing station.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
All workers in New Zealand must hold a Tax Code, which is issued by the Inland Revenue Department. Application forms can be obtained via their website.

Personal income tax is paid to the New Zealand Government on all earnings.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
The following items should not be brought into the country:

  • Food of any kind
  • Plants or parts of plants (alive or dead)
  • Animals or animal products (alive or dead)
  • Equipment used with animals
  • Biological specimens
  • Trophies of sea turtles, all big cats, rare reptiles, cranes, pheasants, bears, antelope, and deer
  • Firearms and weapons
  • Illegal drugs

↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Visas are issued for a specific period of time. Extensions to visas and/or changes to your visa must be applied for as a separate or new immigration application.

You must always have a valid passport with an expiration date no less than three months after you intend to leave the country.

The New Zealand Immigration Service reserves the right to deport anyone convicted of a criminal act.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.