Milan Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
This depends on whether you are an EU citizen or not. If you are not an EU citizen without a work permit, you cannot work in Italy but may stay in Italy as a tourist for a maximum of 90 days. You can only work in Italy if your employer has obtained a work visa for you prior to your arrival to Italy. After getting a work visa, you may obtain a Permit of Stay, which is a document for non-EU foreign residents which specify the length of time you may stay in Italy. If you are an EU citizen, in order to work you need only to obtain a Permit of Stay within eight days of arrival in Italy. To obtain this permit, EU citizens need written proof (normally a letter with stamp and signature) from their Italian employer.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
The following are the different types of visas available in Milan:
1. Short-stay visas for tourism (valid for eight to 90 days) - This is only necessary for non-EU citizens.
2. Visas for study/research - This is only necessary for non-EU citizens.
3. Work visas for non-EU citizens - There are two main types of these visas:

  • distacco visa, which is a short-term, non-renewable visa, valid for two to three years. This visa is applicable if you are paid by a non-Italian company
  • quota visa, which is applicable if you are directly employed by your Italian company. The number of these visas awarded is limited and controlled by the Italian Government. A limited number are given to each nationality and job category.

4. Spouse and accompanying family visa (Visto per familiare al seguito ) for non-EU citizens - This is a non-working visa.

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
All information and documentation related to a work visa and Permit of Stay must be obtained from the Central Police Station (Questura Centrale ). For non-EU citizens, the hiring company should first go to the Ufficio Provinciale del Lavor to obtain all necessary documents. The process for securing a work visa for a non-EU citizen is generally quite lengthy, as the various government offices may request additional documents at any time. If you plan to come to Italy with your family, bring a marriage certificate (the certificate cannot be more than six months old; preferably translated into Italian by an Italian consulate) and birth certificates for your children.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
If the spouse is an EU citizen, he or she will have a Permit of Stay that allows the spouse to work. If the spouse is not an EU citizen, he or she will probably have a non-working visa (Visto per familiari al seguito) and will not be able to work. If eligible, a spouse's ability to find a job will depend on his or her Italian language skills, level of education and degree, assuming it is recognized in Italy. Related work experience of three to five years is preferred for most positions.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

  • Codice Fiscale - a unique identification number, necessary for clearing your shipment through Customs, renting a house, opening a bank account and buying a car. You should apply for it at the local tax office (Ufficio delle Imposte ).
  • Permit of Stay - a document stating your status in Italy. You will need it in order to obtain a residence document (Certificato di residenza ), which is a document that registers you with the Town Hall (Comune ) and may be requested when opening a bank account. You can obtain it at the Central Police Station ( Questura Centrale ) of the town where you intend to live.
  • Identity Card (Carta d'identita ) - you can obtain it at the Town Hall (Comune ) of the town where you are living. To obtain the Identity Card, you need to have the Permit of Stay.

↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
Once you have decided where you will be living, you will have to register at the Town Hall (Comune).
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

  • Shotguns and rifles
  • Flammable goods
  • Ivory
  • Hides of protected species
  • Live plants (from outside EU)
  • Food (Generally this is just for people traveling from outside of the EU, but some restrictions apply between EU countries; for example, during the Mad Cow disease outbreak)

↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
Always carry an identification document (e.g., Permit of Stay, Identity Card) with you and remember to renew all documents on time (i.e., at least 30 days before expiration date).
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.