What types of schools do most expats in your city choose for their children?
Mexico City has a big public school system, but it is uncommon for expats to send their children to public school. Most expats send their children to private schools in areas that have International
Baccalaureate programs or any affiliated with their home country. Such schools include American School Foundation (ASF), the Japanese Lyceum, the French Lyceum, the Edron Academy or the
German school, which have the Mexican program and/or the German, French, Japanese, English or American program as well.

Mexico offers six private English-language schools in its three largest cities: Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey. Mexico City also offers private French, German and Japanese schools.
↑ Top

What are some examples of these schools?

  • Founded in 1888, The American School Foundation (ASF) of Mexico City is the oldest institution of its kind in the world. The school began with a kindergarten-level class and now provides a co-educational, bilingual and multicultural education from pre-school through high school for an international student body. Students who complete their education at the American School Foundation are prepared to attend colleges and universities in the United States and Mexico, as well as in other countries.
  • The German School Alexander Von Humboldt of Mexico City was founded in 1894 and is a bicultural and trilingual school, which prepares Mexican and German children as well as adolescents for a globalized world. The school's educational goal is to maintain academic excellence, such as the development of methodological skills and a socially responsible attitude. The educational authorities of both countries officially recognize the validity of the courses offered. There are approximately 3,000 students in kindergarten (in Lomas Verdes, Xochimilco, La Herradura and Lomas de Chapultepec), grammar school and high school (Lomas Verdes, La Herradura and Xochimilco).


  • Greengates School is a British international school, founded in 1951, and is located in the northern suburbs of Mexico City. Serving the foreign diplomatic, commercial and banking communities, the school has just over a thousand students between the ages of 3 and 18. All classes are given in English and a majority of teachers are British, many of whom are contracted from the United Kingdom. In the infant and junior school, the curriculum is a modified British one, which leads to widely recognized IGCSE and IB examinations in the upper school.
  • The Edron Academy (El Colegio Británico) A.C. is a non-profit institution founded in 1963. In 1985, it achieved its bi-cultural status through incorporation with the Mexican education authority. In 1995, the Edron became an IB world school.


  • The French Lyceum (Liceo Franco-Mexicano/Le Lyceé Francaise) - Founded in 1937 by members of the French community living in Mexico city, the LFM is an institution affiliated with the AEFE (Agence pour le Enseignement Francais a l¨Etranger), a French public agency under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. These schools are located throughout Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa. LFM is recognized as one of the best schools in Mexico.
  • Japanese Lyceum (Liceo Mexicano Japonés) - Three decades ago, the Japanese community opened a school to provide their children an excellent education in both Japanese and Mexican cultures. With more than 30,000 square meters of facilities, they have one of the largest and finest schools in the city with studies recognized in both Mexican and Japanese educational programs.


Apart from the above-mentioned schools, there are many others located in different areas of the city suitable for different kinds of education and culture. Please contact Crown for more information.
↑ Top

Is there a lot of competition for spots in local schools?
Spots fill up quickly in the private schools, so it is recommended that parents apply at least six months prior to the school year. International schools have a large population of expats, though, and understand that people move around the world with no pre-arranged agenda. If they have the availability, they try to accept your children even if parents have to apply later than the recommended six months.
↑ Top

Are pre-schools also widely available (for children approx. 2 to 5 years old)?
Most of the schools referenced above offer kindergarten and preschool education in addition to the other levels. However, there are schools in Mexico City that only specialize in preschool-level instruction. To find out more information on preschools, please ask your Crown contact to assist you.
↑ Top

How are most kids transported to and from school?
Some schools do provide school bus transportation. In cases where bus transportation is not provided, parents drive and pick up their children or they form car pools with other parents. Sometimes, bus transportation is mandatory since there is a government program to avoid traffic around big schools.
↑ Top

When does the typical school year start and end?
Typically, the school year begins in mid-August and ends in early July, but some private schools may be on different academic schedules, especially for middle and upper schools.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about local schools?
Here are a few more tips regarding schooling in Mexico:

  • It is recommended that you visit area schools and interview the school administration before making a final decision.
  • Some important things to consider are: proximity to home, appropriateness of curriculum, acceptability of course credits back home, competent faculty and tuition fees.
  • To receive course credits from previous schools in your home country, all school records must have an apostille seal from the home education department. These seals must be translated into Spanish before the child can receive credit from any Mexican school.

↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.