As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. every year. The U.S. visa policy does permit citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa. In most cases, to enter the United States you must obtain a visa. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights with the exception of the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature. To find out more information on whether you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the website listed below or contact Crown Chicago.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are numerous visas available. There are visas for visitors and visas for permanent residents.

Please review the lists below for the types of visas available in each category. It is strongly recommended that you contact an immigration attorney and/or the Immigration and Naturalization Service for further details. You may also contact Crown Chicago or visit the Web sites listed below to get more information.

Visa types for visitors:

  • Business

  • Tourist/visitor

  • Border Crossing Card - Mexican Travellers

  • Exchange Visitors

  • Students

  • Media and Journalists

  • Visa Renewals

  • Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa types for Immigrants:

  • Immediate relatives

  • Special immigrants

  • Family sponsored

  • Employer sponsored

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States has updated its visa policies to increase security. It is recommended that you contact your nearest consulate or embassy or an immigration attorney to find out specific details for your country. This is a very detailed process and you need to be confident that it has been done correctly and legally so that no problems occur at a later date. If you need further assistance please contact Crown Chicago.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

There are some instances where the spouse is allowed to apply for a work permit. For further information, contact your attorney or Crown Chicago for advice.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

Upon arrival, you should apply for your Social Security card, which is obtained at your local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings and to distinguish you from other people bearing similar or the same name. It is also recommended that you apply for a picture ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)--either a driver's license or simple ID). Your passport is also a valid picture identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan on working, you must apply for a Social Security card. For further information contact your local consulate or embassy.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Please contact Crown Chicago for complete assistance and ease of importing effects. Items that are prohibited include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered animals and their by-products, unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms unless permitted, hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products manufactured using forced labor, and switchblade knives.

Alcohol and motor vehicles also have specific restrictions: one liter of an alcoholic beverage may be brought in for personal use, free of duty and Internal Revenue tax. Quantities above the one liter limitation are subject to duty and internal revenue tax. Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety, bumper and air pollution control standards. Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S. are generally dutiable.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

As long as your visa is valid and you are in good standing with the authorities, your stay should not be questioned. Please contact Crown Chicago if you have any questions.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.