Austin Visas and Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. each year. In most cases, to enter the United States you must obtain a visa. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights with the exception of the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature. The U.S. visa policy, however, does permit citizens from certain countries to enter without a visa. To find out more information on whether you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the Web site listed below or contact your Crown Relocations representative.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are numerous visas available. There are visas for visitors and visas for potential permanent residents. Please review the lists below for the types of visas available in both categories. It is strongly recommended you contact an immigration attorney and/or the Immigration and Naturalization Service for further details. You may also contact a Crown Relocations representative or visit the Web sites listed below to find out more information.

Visa Types for Visitors:

  • Business

  • Tourist/visitor

  • Border Crossing Card (for Mexican Travellers)

  • Exchange visitors

  • Students

  • Media and Journalists

  • Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa Types for Permanent Residents:

  • Immediate relatives

  • Special immigrants

  • Family sponsored

  • Employer-sponsored

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States has updated its visa policies to increase security, so you will most likely find strict security measures in place. It is recommended that you contact your nearest consulate, embassy or immigration attorney to get specific details about your country. This is a very detailed process and you'll want to be sure that it is done correctly and legally, so that no problems occur at a later time. If you need further assistance please contact your Crown Relocations representative.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

Typically, a partner is not entitled to work, but there are some instances where spouses are allowed to apply for a work permit. For further information, contact your attorney or Crown representative for further advice.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

On arrival, you should apply for your Social Security card which can be obtained at your local Social Security office. Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings and distinguish you from others who bear the same name or a name similar to yours. It is also recommended that you apply for a photo ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles--either a driver's license or simple ID (and, of course, you will be traveling with your passport, which is also a valid form of identification).
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan to work, the most important thing to apply for, after you’re settled in, is a Social Security card, which is obtained from the U.S. Social Security Administration. For further information, please contact your Crown representative.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Items that are prohibited include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene articles and publications, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered animals and their by-products. Unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms (unless permitted), hazardous articles (fireworks and the like), products made through forced labor, and switchblade knives.

Alcohol and motor vehicles also have specific restrictions: One liter of an alcoholic beverage may be brought in free of duty and Internal Revenue tax, for personal use, but quantities above the one-liter limit are subject to duty and tax. Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety and bumper, to air-pollution control standards. Foreign-made vehicles imported into the U.S. are generally dutiable.

Please contact a Crown representative for complete assistance and ease with importing personal effects.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

As long as your visa is valid and you are in good standing with the authorities, your stay should not be questioned. Please contact Crown if you have any questions.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.