Accommodation in Birmingham

What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in Birmingham?

Consider proximity to work and schools, facilities for kids such as playgrounds and leisure centres, parking restrictions, local transport facilities and traffic congestion.

What are the most popular neighborhoods in Birmingham for expats?

A wide variety of housing is available in Birmingham - from flats and apartments to large executive homes in exclusive surroundings. Popular areas include Harbourne, Sutton Coldfield, Edgbaston, Lichfield and Coleshill.

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?

Most expats rent in the first year or two of their arrival to get a feel for what the different areas of the city are like to live in.

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?

You'll usually pay one month's rent plus security deposit - which is normally four to six weeks' rent. You may also have to pay an administration fee which varies, depending on the agency. You may also have to pay stamp duty, the amount depending on how much rent you will be paying.

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?

Gas, electric, water, telephone, internet, council tax and resident parking permit fees are payable in addition to rent.

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?

This depends on the location and suburb in Birmingham; however you should always take sensible precautions.

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in Birmingham?

Electric current is 220 volts. The plug is three pin. Most unfurnished properties will still have white goods (for example, fridge and washing machine) available for tenants.

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?

Crown provides accommodation information for rental or purchase properties and can also arrange for temporary accommodation.
Note that you are required to pay for a TV license if you have a television at home.
Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.