Nashville Visas and Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Millions of foreigners travel to the U.S. every year. The majority are required to obtain a visa before entering the country. As a non-US resident, you are a guest in the country and while here, you must adhere to the laws of your own country and most certainly to the laws of the United States. As a visa holder, you will have full access to most basic rights with the exception of the right to vote in elections, hold public office and other things of that nature.

U.S. policy does permit citizens of certain countries to enter without a visa, so to find out whether or not you are required to have a visa for entry, please visit the government Web sites listed below.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

There are different visas available for visitors and for immigrants. Please review the lists below for the type of visas available in both categories. It is strongly recommended you contact an immigration attorney and/or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for further details.

You may also contact Crown Washington DC or visit the Web sites listed below to find out more.

Visa Types for Visitors:

  • Business

  • Tourist/visitor

  • Border Crossing Card - Mexican Travellers

  • Diplomatic

  • Inter-company transfer

  • Exchange visitors

  • Students

  • Media and Journalists

  • NAFTA Professional Worker

Visa categories for immigrants:

  • Immediate relatives

  • Special Immigrants

  • Family sponsored

  • Employer sponsored

Please contact your local US embassy or consulate to obtain more information.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

The United States continually updates its visa policies to increase the security of the nation, so you'll find more stringent security measures in place. It is recommended that you contact your nearest US consulate or embassy, or an immigration attorney to find out specific details for your country. This is a very detailed process and you will want to be very sure that it is done correctly and legally so that you do not have problems later.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

There are certain visa classes that will allow spouses to work in the United States. Please consult the local US embassy or consulate or an immigration attorney for further information.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

Your Social Security card, which can be obtained at any Social Security office, is one important form of Identification. Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings for tax purposes and to distinguish you from others who bear the same or similar name. You will need it for such things as opening bank accounts, obtaining your driver’s licence etc.

If you intend to own and operate your own vehicle, you will need to have a valid driver's license (another form of ID). You can also apply for a photo ID from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Of course, you will be travelling with your passport, which is your best piece of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

If you plan to work, you should immediately apply for is a Social Security card upon arrival in the U.S. For further information contact your local consulate or embassy.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Please contact Crown Washington DC for complete assistance and ease of importing personal effects.

Basic prohibited items include lottery tickets, narcotics and illegal drugs, obscene literature, seditious and treasonable materials, pirated copies of articles, endangered species and their by -products, unprocessed plant or livestock products, firearms (unless permitted), hazardous materials (fireworks, etc.), products manufactured using forced labor and switchblade knives. Motor vehicles also have specific restrictions. Imported motor vehicles are subject to lengthy standards ranging from safety to air pollution control. Foreign-made vehicles imported into the US are generally dutiable.

U.S. Customs recently made changes to the requirements for alcohol entry. Please contact your local Crown office to discuss this in advance of your move.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

As long as your visa is valid and you are in good standing with the authorities, you should not incur any difficulties. Be mindful of the expiration date on your visa. Make arrangements to have it extended well in advance of its expiration if you plan to stay beyond its initial term.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.