As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
Foreigners seeking to enter Tanzania should have a valid passport. The passport is to be presented to an immigration officer at any entry point, border station, airport, or harbor. It must be presented with one of the following:

  • A valid visa (visitor only)
  • A residence permit (meaning that for the duration of your permit you are a Tanzanian resident)
  • A pass (in transit)

↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?
There are five types of visas:

  • Ordinary Visa - Issued at any Tanzanian mission abroad. However, if you arrive at the check point without a visa, you can obtain one at the entry point at a cost of approximately US$50.
  • Business Visa - Issued to potential investors or business people trying to establish professional contacts. The validity can vary from one to six months. The cost varies according to the length of stay but starts at US$100.
  • Multiple-Entry Visa - Issued to foreigners who, due to business commitments, are required to make multiple entries. The validity can be for one month to one year.
  • Referred Visa - Requires special clearance from the Director of Immigration or Principal Immigration officer in Zanzibar. This class of visa is usually for people from Lebanon, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Somalia, refugees, stateless people and any other country as specified by the authorities. Applications are made to any Tanzanian missions abroad and cannot be obtained at entry points.
  • Transit Visa - Issued for those who wish to cross Tanzania and is valid for two weeks. It is for those people holding onward tickets. Those who are visiting must not get this type and instead get the ordinary visa.

Work permits are granted in two classes:

  • Class A - The following documents are required: Certificate of competence from Tanzanian Investment Centre (TIC), a cover letter from applicant, six photographs, a curriculum vitae, educational certificates, company registration, Memorandum of Articles, evidence of business premises, sectorial approval from any relevant ministry, share certificate, and a photocopy of passport pages.
  • Class B - Applicants must complete Tanzanian Immigration Form 1 and submit it to the Labor Commissioner for a recommendation. The recommendation will be attached to the form and forwarded to the Director of Immigration. The class B permit is for applicants who possess rare qualifications or skills, preferably in highly technical occupations, that are not readily available in the local labor market. The applicant must have the following documents:

Cover letter or letter of appointment, five photographs, curriculum vitae (CV), academic qualifications, job description, organizational structure of the company clearly showing the number of positions held by expatriates, a letter from the government for anyone to be employed in a parastatal organization, a membership certificate from local professional bodies for testing and monitoring the professional integrity of expatriates (i.e., doctors, pilots, nurses, lawyers, surveyors and accountants), employment contract, photocopy of passport pages showing nationality, validity and current status, and, finally, evidence to show that the company tried to fill the post with a Tanzanian by producing copies of advertisements announcing the vacancy as well as a CV of a Tanzanian alternative.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?
If arriving by air, a visa can be obtained at the airport. Although the government has officially stopped asking for yellow fever certificates, it is advisable to carry a valid yellow fever vaccination certificate. Standard visa cost is approximately US$50 per person. Visa has a limit of 90 days. Multiple-entry visas are double the price. Employment and temporary visas cost an additional US$100.

  • If arriving by road, a visa can be obtained at the point of entry.

↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Dependents/spouses are permitted to stay in Tanzania for the duration of the working relative's stay with residence permit. They generally do not work, unless they fulfill the criteria as detailed in the Class B application section above.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
A passport is the main form used to verify identity. Apart from getting a Tanzanian driver's license there is no requirement to obtain other identification. The work/resident permit must be endorsed in the passport or the actual permit carried with the passport. The passport will be requested for identification in most circumstances.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
No. Just obtain a driver's license, if one intends to drive. Many expatriates use drivers to avoid the stress of traffic and the perils of possible accidents.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Weapons, pornographic material, fresh food and cars more than 10 years old.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
If the Director of Immigration does not renew a residence permit, the holder is required to return to his or her country of origin. The holder however, can lodge an appeal to the Minister of Home Affairs.
Residence permits have a grace period of one month, following the expiration. The holder is therefore obligated to make arrangements for renewal within this period to avoid inconveniences related to staying in the country unlawfully. A special pass can be issued to people who have submitted their applications for permits and are waiting for the decision. This is issued at the discretion of the Director of Immigration
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.