Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

↑ Top

Before I get ill, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

The UK offers a National Health Service (NHS) primarily for the UK residents. Your eligibility for this service depends on your residence status in the UK and not whether you have British nationality.

Expats registering for NHS treatment need identification in the form of a passport and proof of address. If you are paying tax or National Insurance in the UK, you will need to apply for a National lnsurance Number which will also allow you to receive medical care from the NHS. Private medical care is available through companies such as Bupa or Axa PPP.
↑ Top

What is the word for 'doctor' in the local language?

GP (General Practitioner) or Doctor.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

It is recommended that you visit the NHS website where you can quickly and easily find a suitable health care provider.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

No, there is excellent care in Aberdeen.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

Dial 999 for medical, fire or police.
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

Emergency and out of hours care is available at your local hospital (Accident and Emergency or Casualty room). For minor problems, it is recommended that you speak to your local pharmacist or doctor as waiting times at A&Es can be lengthy.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Pharmacies are called 'chemists' in Scotland and are recognizable by a green cross. Some chain chemists in Aberdeen are Boots, Lloyds and Superdrug.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

Yes, but a direct supply of drinkable water from the main supply is only available from the taps in kitchens. All other water to the household is kept in storage tanks and, hence, it is not recommended that you drink water from bathroom taps or any other taps in the house.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.