What are the top factors to keep in mind when searching for a place to live in your city?
School zoning is very strict, so it is very important to check which school you would like your children to attend and the correct zoning for the school before choosing a suburb in which to purchase or rent. However, traveling time from Dunedin bays and outlying communities is relatively short. When choosing a place to live, some important factors to consider are safety, location preference and individual needs. Depending on your preferences, you may want to find a place close to a school, church, transportation, shops, medical facilities, work and most importantly an area that is secure and safe. As with other cities in New Zealand, choosing the right place to live is essential to having a pleasant and safe stay in Dunedin.
↑ Top

What are the most popular neighborhoods in your city for expats?
Maori Hill and Rosly were once the most desired areas to live, as these were the first settled areas in the city. Both these suburbs are located centrally to the city, within comfortable walking distances. Roslyn is close to town with schools, bus routes, hospitals, rest homes sun and views. On the other side of Dunedin lies St. Clair, close to the beach with spectacular coastline views, restaurants, golf courses and beach activities all easily accessed. Public transport and excellent roads have made Dunedin's surrounding suburbs and outlying communities another attractive option.
↑ Top

Do expats tend to buy or rent their homes?
Newcomers to New Zealand initially rent and then purchase a home if they are staying longer than one year. This gives them time to understand the housing market. While looking for permanent accommodation to rent or buy in Dunedin, you can opt to stay at motels, serviced apartments or holiday houses as well as hotels. Please refer to websites below for further information.
↑ Top

Typically, will I be required to pay additional money up front (such as a deposit) before moving into leased housing? If so, how much is common?
When renting, you are required to pay a bond equivalent to two or three weeks of rent. This is held in a Trust Account by a third party and returned at the end of the tenancy, providing there is no rent owed or damages to the property. Rent is always paid in advance, usually weekly or fortnightly and, if the property is obtained through a letting agent, there will also be a fee to be paid of one weeks' rent plus GST (Government Service Tax) currently at 15%. In summary, you could be required to have 5 weeks' rent prior to moving into a rental property: two weeks' rent in advance, two to three weeks' bond and one week to cover the letting fee.
↑ Top

Are utilities generally included in the price of rent, or are they extra?
Utilities are usually additional to rental prices. Very seldom are they included in the rent.
↑ Top

Are there special security concerns I should be aware of in regards to my home or choice of neighborhood?
As in any built-up area, personal safety is something you should be aware of. But beyond the typical considerations of city life, Dunedin is a very safe place to live.
↑ Top

I’m not sure if I should bring my appliances. What is the electric current, Hz and plug shape in your city?
The electric current for New Zealand is 230-240 volts. The electrical Hertz (Hz) is 50 hertz of power. Plugs have two or three prongs in a triangular shape. Although adaptors are available, it is considered better to purchase small appliances on arrival.

Type I plug - Oblique flat blades with ground (inverted V)

↑ Top

Do you have any other accommodation information that might help me?
Dunedin has a variety of temporary accommodation, from youth hostels to four-star quality hotels.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.