How close-knit is the expat community in this area? How do I get involved with it?
Many expatriates assimilate into the local community rather than staying in close knit-groups. However, there are some newcomer groups that expats can join - for example, the Newcomers and Friends Association. There is also a branch of the American Women's Auxiliary in Melbourne.
↑ Top

Beside expat groups, what is the best way to make social connections outside of work?
Families will often network through their children's schools, getting involved in sports, fundraisers and other activities. Other popular ways of making social connections outside of work is by attending sporting events or visiting your local hotel or pub. In the summer, beach and water-based activities such as sailing are popular social activities. Your local newspaper is usually a good source of information for activities, clubs and sporting groups.
↑ Top

Where can I meet other singles in this city?
Professional singles often socialize in bars and pubs after work hours. There are nightclubs in many city and suburban locations. Saturday's Age newspaper lists venues for dances, clubs and concerts. There are also several reputable singles networking associations that arrange evening and weekend activities such as dinners at restaurants, sightseeing and touring.
↑ Top

Are there any unique networking opportunities for accompanying partners?
Many expatriate partners become involved in volunteer and community work. The Friends of the Zoo, Royal Children's Hospital, Friends of the Botanical Gardens and National Trust are a few example of worthwhile volunteer groups. While the nature of the work is rewarding, these groups also provide opportunities for networking with other expats and learning more about Melbourne.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.