As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?

Members of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) generally will not need a work permit for the United Kingdom. However, non-EU and non-EEA members must apply for the relevant work permit or visa with their local UK embassy before leaving for the UK or they will not be able to obtain entry.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

Entry Clearance, Work Permits, Skilled Migration and Multiple Entry Business Visas. Contact Crown for further details or assistance.
↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

Applications must be made through Work Permits UK direct or a suitable immigration specialist. Contact Crown for more details, as there is a very strict criteria for entry into the UK for work purposes.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?

A spouse can work in the UK for as long as his/her partner lives in the UK and holds a valid work permit. However, a spouse must first obtain entry clearance in order to stay, as well as enter and exit the country for the duration of the partner’s work permit.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?

A driver’s license is the main form of identification in the UK. This can be obtained by passing a UK driving test or exchanging your current foreign license for a UK one (depending on the country you have come from). Your passport will also be another main form of identification.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?

People from some countries will need to register with the police on arrival to the UK. Please check with your immigration service provider for details.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?

Do not bring alcohol. There is no duty-free allowance for alcohol contained within an unaccompanied shipment. All alcohol is subject to duty and VAT and must be itemised separately on an alcohol list.

Avoid bringing restricted items such as animals, birds, leather goods, ivory and foodstuffs – as this will lead to delays with customs. There are also restrictions on bringing cigarettes and certain gifts. For country specific information about these restrictions please visit the website via the below link. The following items are prohibited entry to the UK, so please do not bring them on your person or in your shipment: controlled drugs, indecent or obscene video cassettes, DVDs, films, books, magazines and other articles, horror comics, flick knives, butterfly knives, certain other offensive weapons and some martial arts weapons, counterfeit currency, radio transmitters (walkie talkies, citizen band radios, cordless telephones and other devices not approved for use in the UK), meat and poultry (many other animal products are prohibited or restricted), plants including trees and shrubs, potatoes and certain other vegetables, fruit, bulbs and seeds, self defence sprays such as pepper spray, stun guns and endangered animals (or furs from these).
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?

Ensure that your work permits, passports and visas are valid and remember to renew them when they are nearing expiration dates.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.