St. Petersburg Visas & Permits

As a foreign resident, what is my status in your country?
You can obtain a work permit for the duration of your visa (maximum one year, but it is renewable). After 5 years, you can apply for Russian citizenship, but it’s a long, complicated process.
↑ Top

What kinds of visas are available?

  • Tourist Visa, single/double entry - these are for people staying only a short time who do not plan to work while in Moscow.
  • Business Visa, single/double entry + multiple entry -these are for people relocating to the area for business purposes.

↑ Top

What is required to obtain these visas?

  • Tourist Visa, single/double entry: passport copy and dates of stay
  • Business Visa, single/double entry: passport copy and information about company
  • Business Visa multiple entry: passport copy and information about company*

* The documentation needed for the application in the origin country differs per country. Contact your local embassy for more details.
↑ Top

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
Permitted yes, but likelihood of finding employment depends on the field they wish to enter.
↑ Top

What are the main forms of identification and how does a newcomer obtain them?
Passport and registration of visa; a permit may also be required to enter your office building, though that depends on your company. There will be a local office where you can register your visa; ask your landlord where to go, and bring your rental contract as proof of residence.
↑ Top

Are there any other important permits I must obtain, or places where I must register right away?
In order to work in St. Petersburg, a work permit is required. Application for one will take approximately 5 months, and it is done through one of five different official agencies. Ask Crown St. Petersburg for more details. Bear in mind that in order to obtain a work permit, your company must be registered by the Russian Federation or a territory thereof.
↑ Top

What items should I avoid bringing into the country?
Don’t bring plants.
↑ Top

Is there anything else I should know about entering and remaining in the country legally?
You must register your visa within 72 hours upon arrival. Also, keep your passport-inclusive registration with you at all times.
↑ Top

Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.