Moving abroad is a life-long dream for many with the travel bug, so once the opportunity arises it’s important to do it right so that you can fully enjoy this new adventure.
Once you’ve decided where you want to live, it’s time to prepare for your international move. Here are 8 tips to help your overseas relocation all go smoothly.
- Never lose your change of address list, type it up on your phone or add it to Google Drive before you move and you’ll always have it with you.
- Get a head start on your international relocation, use expat sites and forums like, Expat Exchange, to learn from others – or even better, visit the new country in advance. Go knowing and you can start living faster.
- Passport expiration dates aren’t always at the top of your mind. So check yours and necessary, renew it now so that you can travel worry free.
- What do you need most when you’re en route to your new home? Make up a bag of essentials – documents, chargers, toothpaste, spare clothes and any medicines you’ll need within the next week. This is extra handy if you have an unplanned hotel stop.
- Make sure all of your paperwork is in order. Do you need a special visa for family members? Many countries require that official documents be certified in order to be accepted.
- Be sure to register with the IRS telling them that you are moving abroad and for how long. This will prevent the US from asking for your taxes down the road. Your accountant should be able to help with this.
- If you have children, ask your child’s school for the necessary transfer certificates verifying their educational status. Be sure your doctor and dentist provide you with your medical paperwork, and definitely do some research on health insurance options for after your move.
- It’s bound to happen: a missed bill, a forgotten item, or something that needs to be addressed back home. Make sure you appoint someone trustworthy who can take care of these things if they pop up. Add them as a signatory to a discretionary bank account (not your primary account) so they can pay for any surprise bills or expenses, especially if you’re renting out your house rather than selling it.
If you are looking for a company that will manage all aspects of your relocation and give you peace of mind, or have questions about your international move, Crown Relocations will be happy to work with you.
Request a free overseas moving estimate by calling us today or by completing our quick quote form.