What are the items that I should bring with me because they’re not available (or are too expensive) where I am going?
New Zealand has a wide and diverse population and most items, including foods from around the world, are readily available in Auckland.
↑ Top

Will anyone have particular trouble finding clothes that fit?
No, there are clothing stores catering to all sizes and shapes.
↑ Top

What grocery stores do expats in your city shop at?
Auckland is renowned for excellent weekend outdoor markets in several of the suburbs where you can buy fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers and ethnic foods. The main supermarkets in Auckland are New World, PAK'nSAVE and Countdown. Groceries can also be purchased at petrol service stations and local mini-marts, called Dairies.
↑ Top

Where can other household items (such as cleaning materials and home furnishings) be found?
Cleaning materials can be purchased at any supermarket. They can also be purchased at home handyman shops like Mitre 10, Bunnings or Placemakers. Home furnishings can be purchased in a wide range of stores. Check the Yellow Pages for a complete list. Stores vary in taste and price range. Medium-priced stores with reasonable selection include:

  • Harvey Norman, a one-stop shop with furniture, whiteware, o smalls, etc.
  • Target Furniture
  • Farmers
↑ Top

What are factors that might affect my shopping habits in this country/city?
Most large shopping malls are open seven days a week from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with at least one late night a week. On this night, the shops are open until 9:00 p.m. Some supermarkets are open 24 hours, 7 days a week, except for Christmas and Easter. There is a surcharge of 15% at most restaurants and fast-food chains during public holidays.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.