Are there any vaccinations I should get or other health precautions to take as I prepare for my move to your city?

There are no mandatory vaccinations for Chengdu. However, the following vaccinations are recommended:

  • Hepatitis A and B

  • Typhoid

  • Yellow Fever

  • Japanese encephalitis

  • Rabies

Also, all travellers should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicell immunizations and consult with their health provider from home about the required vaccination certificates prior to moving.
↑ Top

Before I get sick, what should I know about seeking medical care in your city as an expat?

Unless your life is at risk you will be required to pay for your treatment before it is received. Medical costs are paid up by the patient and reimbursed by your insurance company after.
↑ Top

What is the word for "doctor" in the local language?

Yi-sheng, ıı is Mandarin for doctor.
↑ Top

What is the best way to locate a suitable health care provider?

If you require a foreign doctor there are the two options in Chengdu: Parkway Health and Global Doctors. Chengdu has several Chinese hospitals staffed by Chinese educated doctors who are capable of providing a full range of services. It is advised you bring a translator because the hospital staff may not be able to speak English.
↑ Top

Do expats in the area tend to leave the city/area/country to seek medical care? If so, why and where do they go?

For basic check-ups and non-life threatening situations many rely on the local expat doctors or Chinese government hospitals. If the situation is more serious it is not uncommon for people to leave Chengdu to seek additional assistance. Common destinations for more advanced medical treatment are Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore. Some Westerners may even decide to return to their home country if time allows.
↑ Top

What is the number to call to summon help in an emergency? List medical/fire/police.

For emergencies dial:

  • 120 for an ambulance (Chinese-speaking)

  • 119 for fire rescue (Chinese-speaking)

  • 110 for the police (Chinese-speaking)

For emergency assistance in English call: 8401 5292
↑ Top

What do I do if there's an emergency in the middle of the night—or at another time when my normal doctor/clinic is unavailable?

If an emergency occurs in the middle of the night either call one of the emergency numbers above and wait for an ambulance, or have a family member, friend or taxi drive you to the nearest major hospital. Major hospitals have 24-hour emergency clinics, so identifying the nearest 24-hour emergency clinic once you have settled in.
↑ Top

How will I recognize a pharmacy? What is it called in the local language?

Yao Dian or Yao Fang are the Chinese words for pharmacy. The Chinese symbol is: ıı.

To locate a pharmacy, look for the bright green cross on the outside of the building.
↑ Top

Is the water safe to drink?

It is advised that you do not drink the tap water unless it is boiled first. Bottled water is preferred and is widely available.
↑ Top


Crown Relocations has made every effort to present accurate information. However, regulations, rates and other variables are subject to change and Crown Relocations cannot accept responsibility for the errors that might result. Should you have any questions or need additional information, please contact your local Crown representative.